Chapter Eighteen: A Little Winter

Jam hummed happily as he ate some pie. It was apple pie with large piles of whip cream and ice cream. The young child had made it himself seeing as Fresh was no where to be seen.

Which was a bit odd. The witch didn't like, at least in PJ's opinion, leaving the basement door unlock unless he was there. Did they believe that Paper was going to stay there? To not mind the house?

The ink skeleton didn't have a choice at the moment. If he tried anything, the true monster most likely would bring someone to the cottage and kill them horribly. All because the ink skeleton had tried to leave...

Paper sighed some, the pie suddenly tasted like nothing. No... It tasted rotten almost.

The child glared down at dessert, as if it was the reason for all his trouble. He liked this pie, but... It just reminded him of what he lost.

His mother used to bake apple pies... It was their favorite comfort food... They had made it so often that PJ had learned it by sight. Error never had any of it, but he would compliment how the place would smell while it would bake.

The child could still remember how everyone would laugh and smile, the parents sitting quietly to listen their child talk about their day. He loved those times.

He missed those times.

"Jammy? Why are you crying?" The voice of all the problems called out, careful hands grabbed at the young skeleton's face, pulling it away from the plate.

Fresh watched as the little monster blinked his eyes back into focus. They looked distracted, even as they refocused on the present.

"What's wrong?" The parasite tried again, lowering his voice gently.

The ink monster sniffled quietly, carefully shaking his head. He didn't want that thing trying to comfort him. He knew it could get bad if he did.

The pale skeleton frowned deeply. He wanted to ask more, try to get an actual answer out of the child, but... He knew that would do nothing but drive them away.

Sighing heavily, he nodded and pulled back. This actually surprised the younger a bit, but honestly he was grateful.

"Alright... But I do want to show you something," The parasite gave a soft smile, gently pulling the child along. "I am sure you will love it."

The smaller monster narrowed his eyes at the other, but followed along. Actually, now that he was in the present again, he noticed that his little puppy was missing... Where did they go?

The two walked into the spring garden, yet something felt a little different. The air was slightly cooler than it usually was and the blooming plants all seemed to focused more to one side. Then there was the archway door in the north side of the wall.

After being there for so long, it wasn't hard to spot these difference with ease. Too much ease some would say.

"W-What's that?"

Fresh smiled some as he heard the little one's voice. It may have been weak at the moment, but he didn't mind it. He was sure they would love the surprise that took so much out of him.

Paper narrowed his eyes on the other's back, noticing how relaxed they were. Sure, the witch was always relaxed, but this felt different. It was a new kind of relaxation.

Soon, they were at the new archway, the air coming from it being chilly. A winter's type of chill.

"Wait... Did you-" The child's words froze in his throat as he was pulled into a winter wonderland.

The snow was the purest white he had ever seen! The tall Christmas tress were happily decorated with it as well, carefully sprinkling their pinecones and needles on the ground. There appeared to be enough snow to build a tiny igloo or to have a snowball fight! There was also lots of room to run around!

The child walked further into the new area, pulling his hand from his capture. His eyes were wide and shining with wild interest. It was like the day he and that monster went outside.

The witch loved that look. He loved seeing them so happy with every new thing he creates. He was only changing because of them after all~