Chapter Sixteen: Twelve

"Do you want to take a walk outside the wall?"

The sudden question caused Jam to stop eating. He quickly looked up to the other, who was currently making himself some poured over coffee. At least that's what the witch called it.

"Out... Side the wall?" The child looked down to the small wolf.

The wolf tilted their head, seemingly as confused as their owner. The witch only allows them to play outside in the walled area. The area and garden has grown since they both have been there, but they were never allowed outside the thorny wall. Never.

Fresh chuckled some, happily pouring himself a cup of coffee. It was something he thought of a while ago. However, a while ago, the outside world was a bit... Too busy for his liking.

"I went outside the wall before you woke up," That was true, he did. "It's winter out there... I figured you'd want to see snow for a while." He looked behind him some as he stirred in some sugar with his coffee.

Quickly a bright grin appeared on the child's face as they nodded their head like they were a bobble head. This was the most excited and child like that the witch had seen in a long while. It was refreshing and so sweet to see.

Fresh smiled as he sat across from the child, sipping his warm drink. The child was so beautiful when they looked so happy. Of course, he would never touch them or hurt them like that. No, they were still innocent, he would have to teach them properly before any of that.

"We'll go after breakfast, but no scarfing!" The parasite gave a joking look, which gave the giggling laughter he was hoping for.

Jam couldn't believe he was going outside the wall! And when it was winter too! Maybe they could get some holiday sweets and clothes! Hell! He could possibly talk with other people!

Suddenly, a thought came to him. Wasn't it winter when he was kidnapped? How long has he been in the wall? It had to have been a year at least...

"Are you feeling sick?" Fresh was suddenly by Paper's side, gently pressing the back of his hand onto their forehead.

The child moved away from it, blinking in shock. They didn't smile to reassure the older monster, but the frowning was now much clearer.

"How long have I been here?" He murmured softly, keeping eye contact. He needed to know.

The witch sighed deeply, frowning some.

"Are you sure you want to know? Why can't we just have a good day out?" He sounded desperate, his tone making the younger looking down.

The room was silent for a moment, the air tense. The puppy whined some to Jam, gently pawing at the child. The child ignored the animal, fiddling with their hands.

The parasite sighed again, gently pulling the little one into a hug.

"I'm sorry..." He murmured some, rubbing the little one's back. The little one closed their eyes, pressing their body into the other's bigger one. Fresh frowned some before finally breaking their silence. "It's been twelve years."

Paperjam paused for a moment, slowly pulling back and tilting his head. Twelve?

Fresh gently rubbed the child's cheek, a frown on his lips.

"It's been twelve years since I brought you here." 

Jam blinked, still confused. How could it have been twelve years? He was still as tiny as he was before... Incobux hasn't even grown! How could it have been twelve years?!

"This place, when I had found it, I had put a small time loop on it. Nothing here can age or die without my say so... That includes you and Inco." The witch explained softly, pulling himself away. "You and Inco can stay young forever!" He chirped at the end, smiling brightly.

The child's eyes widen, quickly trying to say something, but all he could do was stutter out nonsense. How could this monster do that to him?! He can't even leave the walled off area unless Fresh is with him! Now, he can't even deal with the natural aging process!

"It's alright, it's alright... If you want, this Christmas, I can make you look thirteen." This got the ink skeleton to shut up.

He bit at his lips before narrowing his eyes at the older.

"No... Unless you're planning on letting me and Inco stay that old." He hissed.

The witch smiled and nodded. He was happy, obviously. It didn't settle right with the child looking monster. Why was he so happy.

"A-And you'll let me study wh-what's current?" He hummed lowly.

A soft laugh was sounded from the older monster, a nod being the answer. "I'll let you study anything." He hummed with smile.

Jam nodded, shifting back in his seat to finish his food, of course he did give Incobux some pets. He didn't want the puppy to think that he was still upset. The ink skeleton could only hope that the other would still allow them to walk about.