.25

| Mia |

2 : 10 AM

I had no plans to sleep.

I had my Netflix on and I was proud of myself for choosing positivity. And choosing me.

It would have been so easy to be negative and plain sad . .but I chose me.

I had to.

And I had plans for nights  to keep me occupied. My head occupied so I was watching the Queen's Gambit. I always selected the ones with complicated plots because then my mind would be busy solving them—

The doorbell rang.

And I rolled my eyes.

Just when the scene was building up, someone had to interrupt. Glancing at the wall clock, I knew it was mom.

Putting the bowl of popcorn aside, I got up. Barefoot and hurriedly walked towards the door.

I unlatched the door and then I turned back, eager to go and watch the season.

I heard the door clicking shut and footsteps moving in which kinda sounded weird because mom didn't walk like that. Her footsteps were light and—

Dread started to settle in my bones.

Did I just. . .let a rapist in?

That thought stopped me in my tracks . I didn't dare move when I heard his heavy breathing.

A very male heavy breathing.

Effing shit! I let a burglar in!!!!

I let a—

"Mia."

That deep voice was enough to make me whirl around at the door with the speed of light because. .no. .it wasn't mom. No. It was him.

Yes . .it really was him.

The shadow of a person I used to know. The dark circles under his eyes made his eyes look gaunt.

When was the last time he slept?

Who cared?!!

I didn't!!

"What the hell! Get out!" I snapped without caring. He didn't belong here!

He raised a hand in the air as if asking me to be patient.

"Hear me out ." His voice was empty. A silent plea in it.

"No! You hear me out! Get the frack outta my house or God help me. .!" I looked around wildly for a weapon I could whack him with .

"Mia. . Please . I'm begging you." He said it softly. Like he used to.

It did affect my heart. Seeing his eyes begging me..

Didn't my eyes beg him that day?

Did he notice them?

"I swear Zack!! I don't care about a single word you have to say. You're done and dusted . Get.Out." I gritted my teeth.

Seeing him was opening back the wound I had healed a bit. It was raw again.

It hurt again!

And it drove me nuts!

He swallowed hard.

"Mia. .fix me." He whispered.

But it felt like a yell.

It jerked me. Hit my heart. He looked vulnerable. .ready to break at the slightest  of touch.

I wish I was as cruel as he had been to me but I was me. I wasn't Zack.