.29

| Mia |

I left.

I chickened out.

Just when Allie and Gloria were sleeping on separate benches , I left.

I didn't have it in me to watch Zack ignore my existence. If only I had kept my mouth shut. .if only. .

Emotions got the better of me.

I had hired a cab and I was going home. My head bowed, I tried not to lose my shit in front of the driver, an old man who would cast me a glances now and then in the rearview mirror.

That's because  I would sniff  and then I would clap a hand on my mouth to stop myself.

Gloria was wrong.

I wasn't the one for him.

He was the one for me.

I wanted him and whatever happened. .he didn't want me now . .I was sure of that and I had thought wildly about moving continents. I would enroll in an all girls college so I wouldn't get to see Zack with another—

"Is everything  alright?"

He asked in a raspy voice.

"Yes..." I lied.

Gray eyes glanced at me in the mirror.

"It doesn't seem like it." He stated a fact.

I sighed and leaned back.

Great. .I couldn't even hide myself from a driver . How would I hide and fake it with myself? Was I that readable?

"I'm moving continents." I said out loud as if saying it loud would made me accept my fate.

He nodded stiffly.

"I can understand."

"You do?" I blurted out.

He turned the car around smoothly.

"It's difficult but not impossible. Why are you moving?" He addressed the elephant in the room.

"Because—because everything fell apart on the very last moment. Why does it always happens ? Why don't things turn the way we want them to? Why can't we capture it?" I was wondering what the hell I was doing asking a stranger these questions.

But somehow it felt right to ask a complete stranger such things because he didn't know me. .

"Everything falls apart at the last moment because . . .it's not meant for you. It's meant for someone else. The job, the spouse, the burger. . .i heard what is in you fate shall reach you even if it's between two mountains and what's not meant for you won't reach you even if it's between your two lips." His gentle voice was really soothing.

"And what if—if I fight for what I want? For what I believe in?" I asked him.

He smiled at me.

"Well, the universe do loves a stubborn heart. "

××××××××××××××

I didn't answer to any texts.

I just wanted to be all by myself.

Maybe if I hide till eternity no one will ever find me. . .I know. I was being a coward. It was like I wanted to delay a result I know I failed in.

I was going to get my laptop and search for a place I could stay in. I didn't want to be here.

I was so into my thoughts about how to move schools that I didn't hear the doorbell.

Slowly, I got up from the couch and glanced at the wall clock.