Chapter 4

"That was not a request, Herrera."  -I missed that smile every second we were away from each other- "You take your shower and, bed."

"Sir, yes sir."  -It was nice to see that despite everything, I still had my friend.

----------

Andy POV

Robert had insisted that I sleep in our bed.  I knew myself well enough to know that it wouldn't work out very well.  I would do something that would hinder the sobriety program.  So in the end I ended up staying in the guest room.  I lay looking at the ceiling for countless hours.

Being here ... at home, it should make me sleep or at least trick my brain into thinking that I was less tired.  I needed to go home before he woke up.  I didn't want to deal with this issue or last night's.  Not before coffee.  I got up from the bed, grabbed my shoes, my bag and left the room.

"I didn't think you were the type to sneak out, Herrera."  -Robert spoke scaring me as soon as I arrived in the room.

"I'm not sneaking out. After all, I live here ... or did. It doesn't matter now, I need to go home. My shift starts in 1 hour. Thanks for the ride."  I walked towards the door.

"Stay. You need a break. Because to lead the team, you need to be 100% and I can clearly see that you are not."

"Robert, really? You don't have to tell me if I'm fine to do my job or not, I can see this on my own."

"I contacted the boss. I told him that you are going to take the day off to put your mind right. He will send a replacement."  -I was incredulous when Robert said he contacted the boss.  He wants to know more than me.  I sighed deeply trying not to get out of control.

"Robert Sullivan. I can't believe you did that. I'm quite a big girl. I know my limits. I know when to stop."  -he said trying to keep calm- "Our work is dangerous. I would never put people in complicated situations because of my lack of rest."  -told him.  But did I really know my limits?  I said that trying to believe more than he did.

"Do you really know when to stop?"  -Robert asked raising an eyebrow- "Andy, I see how you've been doing, I see how you've been doing, I watch your every step at the station and I don't agree with you being in charge of something so important when you know you're not able to  do that. How are you going to take care of others, since they don’t know or take care of you? "

"What did you say? Do you think I started this job now? Do you think I would even think about putting anyone's life at that station at risk?"  -I had reached my limit on this subject- "You need to stop now with this protection that you have with me, I do not want and do not need it, not at my job. I need you to be a fireman who follows orders and asks when they are  go against protocols. And more than anything I need my husband to know how to separate things. Learn to listen to people, or maybe I just need to learn to listen to myself. "  - I left the door slamming as hard as I could.

Robert POV

Maybe what I said hurt her more than I thought it would, but I wasn't wrong, so maybe that would give me a little relief.  At one time or another she would realize that I was right.

I decided to go to the station, since my shift was about to start.
Before stopping at the station, I stopped by a coffee shop that was close to our house and we liked it a lot.  I ordered a coffee for me and another for Andy.  This should keep you more awake.  When I arrived at the station, she had already arrived so I went straight to her office and handed her coffee.

Ben and I were in the rescue car and received a call that a woman had been sick on the street.  Andy decided to join us, as she was bored by the quiet day we were having.

Arriving at the place of the call, we were informed that the patient had a tumor and that she was unable to undergo the necessary treatment to cure the tumor.

"Sullivan and Warren, bring the stretcher and bag of necessary equipment. We need to be quick or she won't be very lucky."

"Yes, captain" -eu and Warren said in unison in agreement and we immediately went to get what she asked for.

Acting out of emotion and without calculating the risks very well, Andy decided to medicate the patient with anticoagulant.

"Captain, I don't think it's a good idea" -Warren tried to alert, but she didn't listen.

"I agree with Warren. I don't think it's a good idea. We don't know what type of tumor we are dealing with. Any medication that is not compatible, can be fatal. Better to let the doctors give the necessary drugs when they get to the hospital  , not least because we don't want her to die for our mistake. "  -I tried to reinforce what Warren had said, but without success.

"Give her the anticoagulant. Captain's orders. I'm your superior. I hope you don't question my decisions any more."

That said, we did what she asked.  Even though I knew it was very dangerous.
Unfortunately for us, we realized that something had gone wrong.  The patient was intolerant to the medication.

"Captain, we need to run to the hospital, because the medicine you prescribed is killing the patient."  I said, raising my eyebrow at Andy.

Luckily, we managed to keep the patient alive until we reached the hospital.  I think she realized that she should have listened to Warren and me.

Acting out of anger that she hadn't listened to either Ben or me, I went to talk to her.

"Andy, I warned you. Out of pride, you almost killed that woman."  -While I was talking, Andy stood looking at a specific point on the wall of the rescue car without saying anything- "You have to be less selfish. When we question your decisions, it is not to harm you or to take your place.  It is to try as hard as possible to avoid situations like these. You cannot continue acting on impulse because next time we may not be so lucky. "

Andy POV

Have you ever felt time stand still?  Run slower?  It is terrifying ... you feel that you have done something very wrong, that someone will deal with the consequences of your mistake.  I knew it was happening when the sound from the monitor just disappeared from my ears.  Everything went dumb and I completely crashed.  If she were alone there, that woman would surely have died.

Everything Robert said was true ... I could have killed that woman for an idiotic attitude.  The stretcher passed through the emergency doors and I felt the weather return to normal.  The vibrant sound of voices, machines and footsteps exploded my eardrums.

"Warren!"  -called- "Go back to the station and tell Jack to take the shift. I'll stay here."

"Yes, captain."  -I heard him say something but I didn't understand.  Everything was slow and silent again.  I sat and waited.  The hands on my wristwatch were not moving, I was stuck at that moment.

It had passed to the rest of the world as the same resident who attended my patient entered the waiting room.

"How is she?"  -he was reluctant to tell me because of the family protocol, but in the end he ended up saying it.

"She's fine now. Only she might not have been so lucky. They need different training for her paramedics."  -this said he disappeared from my sight.

I needed to get out of this hospital and get my head straight.

-------//-------

As I say every week, sorry for any mistakes, sometimes google does a terrible job.
I hope you like it and leave your star.✨  Beijossss🥰