Chapter 21

The following month, firefighters and all other emergency services were bombarded daily with calls about faulty fire alarms.  In the beginning, the hypothesis was that the company that supplied the city with the alarms had a defective lot, an idea that was soon discarded when they changed the company and the problem continued.  Nothing was immune;  fundraisers, football stadiums, family homes…someone was really committed to sending a message.  It was not known who it was or why, the problem is that this had already claimed many fatalities, including firefighters and police.  It was with this argument that Andy would not send his station to the annual fire and police event.

"That's completely out of the question, sir. I'm not sending any of my people anywhere that isn't extremely important. Do you think I care more for a benefit than my staff?"  -Andy was really nervous on the phone and everyone was standing at her door to get the verdict.

"That's not a request, Herrera. Your station will be there, period."  -the boss knew the gravity of the situation, but he thought that if a place full of firefighters couldn't put out a fire, if it started, no one else could.

"Speak for all your other firefighters, mine remain at the station! No one will be there tonight. You can count on my presence and nothing else."  -That was a bold ultimatum.

"See you tonight then, Captain Herrera." -He hung up the phone.

"Should I take my evening dress out of the closet?"  -Maya came into her room.

"No, you and everyone else can keep your pajamas on. No one is going tonight."  -she thought it better not to say that the only one who would go would be herself.

"Has the event been cancelled?"

"Do you really think the mayor would miss a chance to be on TV? The event continues. Don't worry about it, I'll deal with him."  -Maya discreetly waved and left the office

During the course of the day, Andy spent most of his time in the office organizing reports and preparing for the evening's event.  Robert had learned that Andy intended to attend the event alone.  He knew of the imminent risks of that place and went to talk to her.  Once there, he knocked on the door and entered without waiting for approval to enter- "Andy?"

"Yes, chief. Something wrong?"  -she said diverting her attention from her work.

"Captain, I need to talk to Andy..." -she waved at him to continue- "has reached me, the information that you intend to attend that event alone. Is this serious?"

"Yes, it's super serious. That place is dangerous. I don't want to send my team there and avoid it. The mayor didn't want to cancel the event until the problem was fixed, so at least one representative from each station must be there and that someone it is me."

Robert was looking at her in disbelief.  She spoke as if it was the simplest thing to do- "Andy, there's no way I'm letting you go there alone. That place is dangerous and you're pregnant. We've already talked about you getting involved in dangerous and unnecessary situations. I do not authorize."

Andy looked at him with a skeptical look.  She would know how to take care of herself and believed that everything would be all right- "Robert, it's all fine and resolved. I'm going alone. I'll be careful and you don't have to worry." -she said, turning his attention to the paperwork on the table.

"Since I won't be able to change your mind, I'll go with you. It's no use arguing with me because I won't change my mind. Either you go with me or you don't."

She didn't want him to go at all.  She cared about the well-being of all of them and especially her husband.  They've already wasted so much time with the other adversities they had to face in the marriage, that she would do anything to keep it safe- "It's okay, Robert. I won't. Then I'll let the mayor know we had an unforeseen event and I couldn't be there. Good for you?"  -she said giving him a convincing smile.