Chapter 23

"...As soon as I bury my dad I'm no longer a firefighter. Thanks for your attention, chief."  -Andy waved and left the room and the station, leaving Boden stunned as he didn't wait for her last statement.

----------

Herrera was a person any boss would want to have in charge of a station.  If possible, let all captains be as competent as she is.  Boden knew that losing her would be a major embezzlement for the corporation and wasted no time in turning to Sullivan. - "Hello, Sullivan."  -before robert could respond to his pleasantries, he continued- "I'm calling you because your wife just left the station saying she's going to resign. She's even sent me her resignation letter. I hope you can do something about it. ."

"Wow... I was taken by surprise. I didn't expect this, but I think I can work it out. Thanks, chief. Have a good day."  -Robert knew it was all too much for her, but quitting was too much.  The station was her home, the place she was raised by her father.  There, she made incredible family bonds.  It never crossed Robert's mind that Andy would one day give up on the station.  He took his cell phone and called Andy countless times, until on the call that he decided was her last try, she answered- "Andy, where are you? I got a call from Chief Boden saying you sent him your resignation letter. What do you mean?"

"I'm going home, when I get there we'll talk."  -Andy replied, looking at the sign that was still closed.

As soon as she stopped the car at home, she saw Robert already waiting for her- "My love, what's wrong?"

"You know... the station has always been a place I wanted to be, that I wanted to belong..." -she said entering the house- "There was always the place I felt at home and I took refuge when I needed to, but now that one place brings me sadness. Something will always be missing."  -she looked at him with glazed eyes.  It hurt to have to let go.

"Look, Andy... I know it's been too much for you, I know it's been difficult to process everything that's happening..." -he tried to find the right words, but it was being more difficult than he thought- "All I want to say is that I will be supporting you with whatever you need but I think you should reconsider. At first it seems very difficult to deal with everything but after a while it gets easier. So we are not accepting your resignation... not yet."

"Thank you. Maybe that would be all I needed to hear right now."

"You'll have as much time as you need, no one here will force you to come back until you're ready..." -Robert sat beside Andy on the couch holding his hand.

"I don't know if someday I'll be ready to go back to the station and not see him there. I know he didn't work there anymore... it's just that he was always there to check on us and most of the time the we needed it" -Andy smiled remembering a particular situation- "He even helped Dean arrange a date with a girl he rescued... I will miss him every second of my life. When I lost my mother, I had him, he always knew what to say and do, even if he wasn't a woman. Of course I missed my mom but he was all I needed. I have you with me now and I think he left in peace knowing that I have someone to take care of me just like he did. Thank you."  -Andy walked over and kissed Robert slowly.

---

Five days have passed since Andy and Robert talked about her future at the station... nine days have passed since Pruitt died.  In those nine days, everything she could do to feel better was done.  There was a time to cry, a time to scream, a time to be silent... a time to digest everything that was happening.

Today was the day of the funeral.  She didn't have a funeral eulogy ready.  Whatever she tried to write, it didn't seem to be enough to describe how grateful she was to have Pruitt as her father…how good he was at raising her.

-

At church, she and Robert walked hand in hand to the second row of seats.  From a distance she was able to spot her entire team, still shaken but holding their ground.  For most of the ceremony, she had her head resting on Robert's shoulders as tears ran silently down her face and he hugged her.  Colleagues, friends, firefighters from almost every town were present... none of them able to describe the pain of farewell to Pruitt Herrera.

The time of eulogy… Robert walked her down the altar.  Until the last moment she didn't know what to say... she took a deep breath watching the crowd that now had all their attention on her- "My father was a great hero... not only for me, but I believe for the vast majority here. When I was a kid, he had to face some tough decisions that would be better for me. He was always looking to do his best."  -the spontaneity that the words came out of his mouth, were more sincere than if he had written them- "As a child, I lost my mother and it was in 19 that he raised a family. He gathered a small group of people and each one under his roof, they were his children"  -it was more and more difficult to contain the emotion.  His voice was cracking- "He was a hero...but after all, he was my father...he was gone for something he's done his whole life...save me. And he did everything he could to save me one last time."  -Robert was in the corner, close to her watching her.  He wanted to be there for anything - "Dad, wherever you are, I want you to know you've done a great job and I'm so proud of you. Thank you."  -it was as if all the energy that kept her up, was gone.  Robert immediately rushed to her side and held her in a hug.  These were difficult times...

"It's okay, honey. I'm here by your side if you want to continue..." -Robert kept an arm around Andy's waist to give her some stability.

"I... I need to finish talking..." -at this point and due to the situation, everyone thought that Andy was just emotionally shaken, but there was something else going on.

Robert noticed that she was in a cold sweat, her hands were shaky and sweaty and inevitably Andy grimaced in pain- "I think everyone here will understand if you don't want to continue. I need you to tell me what's going on. What are you feeling?"

"A very strong pain in the stomach..." -this time the pain came much stronger and Andy squeezed Robert's hand as hard as he could- "There's something wrong..." -the sequence of events that happened to following was very quick, but no less frightening.  Andy could no longer keep his feet under his feet and fell to the ground, his imminent fall only stopped by Robert.  Deep down she knew something was up with her baby.  Andy felt something running down his legs - "I need you to pay attention to what I'm going to say to you now" - spoke to Robert - "I'm bleeding... I need you to take me to the hospital, without making a fuss" -which would be kind of impossible, since everyone was paying close attention to the two above the altar.  Robert only processed the part of the sentence that said Andy needed a hospital.  He took his wife gently on his lap and went to his car, put her on the seat, and headed to the hospital emergency room.

---//---
🙂