Chapter 4.1

The trees broke away to water. Adam gasped which made Connor chuckle. Periculum continued over the water on a thin bridge. Connor glanced at Mr. Summertin, who wore an amused smirk on his face. Summertin went to the window next to Adam. The water glistened blues and greens as the train flew over it. The sky domed around the scene, painting the puffy white clouds into the shimmering water. Birds skimmed the water before flying up into the air again and finally they reached an island.

"Here we are," Mr. Summertin said. Neither boy turned to look at him. They were both too caught up with what they saw outside. The island was free of trees, and they were replaced with tents and buildings.

"Wow," Connor muttered.

The train turned and circled the outer edge of the island. It stopped at a train station on the shoreline, causing Connor and Adam to lose their footing as it slowed. They caught themselves by holding onto the window pane. Mr. Summertin opened a car door that led off the train.

"Let's go," he said, stepping off. "We need to set up a few tents and then we'll eat."

Connor and Adam jumped onto the ground. The water lapped against the shore on Connor's right, taking a bit of Connor's confidence with it.

This seems more confined than Greenview did, he thought as he followed Mr. Summertin to another car closer to the front of the train. I thought I'd have more freedom here, not less.

Adam stayed close to Connor as they walked down the shore, a few steps behind Mr. Summertin. They stopped in front of a long train car. Mr. Summertin, with some effort, pushed open the large car door, revealing a musky interior. Rolls of canvas laid neatly on the floor of the car, and he gestured to them.

"Pull them out," Mr. Summertin said. "Please."

Connor rolled his eyes. He didn't understand how that man could go from a loud cheerful ringmaster to a demanding man just overnight.

Adam elbowed Connor and walked to the train car. The tents were a struggle to get out, and once they did unload them, it was a struggle to put them up. Connor had never put together a tent before, and he doubted Adam had any experience with it either. It took both of them and Mr. Summertin's somewhat patient guidance to get the three tents set up. During the assembly, Connor noticed a group of people setting up other tents further inland and figured they were the other performers. He wondered why Mr. Summertin was keeping them separated from all of them. Brushing the thought aside, he continued to work.

The sun had dipped down in the sky by the time Connor and Adam were finished. They walked over to where Mr. Summertin was sitting on the edge of the open train car and informed him that they were finished.

"Terrific," Mr. Summertin said cheerfully. "Let's go and join everyone else then. I don't know about you boys, but I'm starved."

Connor stared at him in astonishment. How could one man go from one extreme to the next in such a short amount of time? Mr. Summertin didn't seem to notice Connor's look, but Adam did. Mr. Summertin began to walk inland, and the two boys followed behind.

"What are you staring at?" Adam said softly so Mr. Summertin couldn't hear.

"I was just surprised, that's all," Connor said.

"'Bout what?"

Connor contemplated if it was worth explaining or not. "Nothin' at all. Are you hungry?"

Adam nodded. "I'm excited to meet everyone too."

Connor glanced at him. "You mean you haven't met any of these people yet?"

"Nope. The only person I've seen since I got on the train was Mr. Summertin."

"That's strange. Did he tell you why?"