Chapter 21.1

Adam watched Connor walk into the magical glowing hallway and disappear. He clenched his fists and tightened against Mr. Salem's grip, but stayed silent. How could Connor be so stupid?

"Remember," Mr. Summertin said, turning from the entrance, "Camp Caute will likely be here at any moment to interfere. Do whatever it takes to stop them from getting through."

With that, Mr. Summertin disappeared into the wall. Riley looked around seemingly nervous and made eye contact with Adam. His gaze flitted to the ground, but that didn't prevent Riley's voice from entering his head.

"Adam, I know how bad it looks right now, and I know that you have every right not to trust me. But I'm asking you to trust me. Connor and I are in a lot of danger. I need you to get out of here and get Meridian. Kirk knows where the key is, you can trust him. Find your way out, get help. I'm sorry, I should have... I don't want you or Connor getting hurt for my decisions."

Giving him no time to reply, Riley disappeared into the darkness.

Mind racing, calculating, Adam glanced around the room. There was no way he'd be able to fight his way out, especially with Amanda's mind-grip. But Riley was right. Meridian would be able to help, she could stop Mr. Summertin.

His eyes landed on the ceiling, and he knew instantly what he needed to do. Relaxing himself, he closed his eyes. Mr. Barge had only taught him this pulse in passing, but he had read enough about it to know what to do- though reading and doing were two very different things.

Taking a deep breath, he let his mind race from one thought to the next and feeling the magic gather from his lungs to his fingertips. Still locked in Mr. Salem's arms, he splayed his hands out and shouted as the magic energy exploded from his body in a bright green wave. Mr. Salem flew off him and slammed against the metal grating, and the other performers were thrown off their feet. Adam flew in the air a few feet, just enough to hit the 'Q' on the ceiling. That was his way out.

The letter glowed at his touch, but not fast enough. He felt Amanda's invisible hand grip him around the waist mid-air. To his horror, Mr. Salem leapt to his feet with arms ablaze all the way past his elbows.

"I've heard how you react around fire you twit," Mr. Salem snarled, his face in a twisted rage. "I can't wait to see it up close and personal."

Mr. Salem inched closer to Adam, who felt his pulse quickly rise. Sweat beaded up on his brow as Mr. Salem moved closer still, raising his arms closer to Adam's face.

Smoke. Sweat. Death. Memories flooded Adam's mind, none of them good. He pushed against the invisible grip, looking for anything that would help him escape.

Mr. Salem grew closer, Adam screamed and FLASH! He fell.

The ground rough against his hands. He slipped and got a face full of sand. Looking around, he saw the San Francisco skyline. He was out.

Adam stood up, groaning and brushing the sand off. He quickly looked around and spotted the circus setting up in the distance. Looking around him to ensure no one teleported with him, he darted off toward what he hoped would be help. He would find Kirk, then they'd find a way to get off the island and to Meridian. It was a shame he wasn't just teleported back to the mainland. As he sprinted, Adam wondered how far Kirk could teleport...

***

I'm so excited to be writing from Adam's perspective! He has such a big task ahead of him. How do you think he should get off the island? Comment! I need ideas, haha