Chapter 24.3

Mr. Barge sat up, groaning. His head pounded as he tried to remember where he was and how he got there. Shouts exploded from outside his tent, the ground rumbling beneath him.

He wished he could go back to sleep.

Instead he sat up in the cot he was on to observe what the commotion was but realized instead that his hands were bound his bed. Whoever had made the ties must not have thought he was going to wake up anytime soon, or they were in a hurry. Based on the commotion outside, Mr. Barge assumed that they were in a hurry.

Grunting in pain as he re-positioned himself, he concentrated his energy to his hands and released a pulse big enough to break his bands. He sat up, pain coursing up his back into his neck and back down. He stood up and staggered through the tent door and into the chaos outside.

The shore was manned by every magician in the circus. Looking out at sea, Mr. Barge found in horror three giant ships barreling toward Alcatraz. The barrier had broken, and already there were bodies unmoving along the shore. Mr. Salem, Amanda, and others stood in the midst, launching molten missiles at the ships in a combination of their powers.

Mr. Barge staggered outside determined to raise the shield again. There was enough trouble on the island, and he knew that Camp Caute would only bring more of it.

As if to confirm his sentiments, he felt his foot catch on a mess of fabric that he swore wasn't there before. He pulsed against the ground to keep himself on his feet. When he regained his balance, he looked back to see what he tripped on.

Riley's body lay on the ground, eyes wide and glazed over, arms outstretched in front of her.

"What the hell happened?" Mr. Barge muttered to himself, kneeling next to the girl. Her face looked almost determined, but for what he had no idea. Noise surrounded him, muffled by the blood thumping in his ears. He saw Riley go into the jail with a group of performers with Connor and Mr. Summertin at the lead. This fight was no place for children, but all he could do without knowing where to find them was hope that Adam and Connor were alright.