Chapter 24.1

Connor couldn't breathe. He couldn't move. He couldn't comprehend. He couldn't function. Over and over again, the scene played out in his mind. Riley grabbing the orb, filling with light and falling to the ground. Dead. She was dead.

"Connor! We have to move!"

Mr. Summertin's voice snapped Connor back to reality. The cavern around them was crumbling, light blazing through the cracks on the walls. Connor looked around frantically, finally finding the opening he was looking for. Their way out. It was more of a window, ten feet up the wall and outlined in the same white light. Mr. Summertin was already on the move, a rune shining brightly in front of him, the ground rising into a staircase up to the opening.

Suddenly, Connor was filled with rage. It was really Mr. Summertin's fault that Riley was dead, and now he was leaving Connor to die as well.

I can't let him get to the mirror. There's one more trial.

Connor launched himself into the air, hurling towards Mr. Summertin. He hit him full force, grabbing his middle and pulling him through the opening. On the other side, he slammed him to the ground.

"You killed her! You killed her!" Connor shouted, igniting his arms.

"Connor don't be absurd-" Mr. Summertin started before Connor punched him across the face.

"You deserve to die!" Connor yelled, hitting him again.

"ENOUGH!" Mr. Summertin shouted. A force pushed Connor off him and slammed him against the wall, head cracking against the stone. "You'll kill yourself long before you can kill me Connor DeGray. Now I suggest we focus on the task at hand." He stood up, holding a paper with a symbol glowing a violent purple. Mr. Summertin touched it, and the glowing stopped.

The force released Connor, who crumpled to the ground, arms extinguished. He pulled himself to his feet as the small cavern around them began to glow. By far the smallest of the rooms they've been in so far, the glow in close proximity was almost blinding.

Squinting, Connor saw words form on the wall opposite of him:

YOUR FINAL TASK IS A CHOICE: DO YOU VALUE POWER MORE THAN A LIFE? A LIFE OF ONE YOU LOVE? CHOOSE WISELY, DO NOT DISAPPOINT ME.

The ground vibrated softly as the entire cavern began to rise.

Mr. Summertin glanced down at Connor with a sneer. "Don't get in my way boy. I don't know what to expect, but know now that the mirror is all mine. You may assist if you'd like, or I can try to return you to the surface." Connor felt a swell of satisfaction at the scorched flesh on Mr. Summertin's cheek.

"And if I try to stop you?" he said defiantly.

"Then I will make you regret it. Just know that you could never stop me. I've come too far to be halted by a child."

Light filled the cavern from the opening behind Connor. He turned around to see a strange sight. They stood on the edge of a seemingly bottomless cavern. In front of them and to the right, a large, metal platform floated in the air, light emanating from the bottom of it. On it stood a pedestal, which held a mirror. The Alchemist's Mirror.

To the left was Meridian.

She stood, bound, on a similar floating platform to the left, equal distance from them as the mirror.

"Connor! Saige!" She cried out.

"Meridian!" Connor yelled back. "Hold on, I'll get you free!"

"No," Mr. Summertin said. "She can't go free. I have to get that mirror."

Mr. Summertin acted faster than Connor could process what he said. He threw a paper at Connor's chest, rune shining a bright orange. The paper expanded and shot thick strips around Connor, binding him. He felt his power drain from him. Trying to gather energy to ignite his upper body, he fell to his knees- nothing.

"I'm sorry Connor, but again- I refuse to let you get in my way. It is the same with Meridian."

"You loved her! You're really going to let her die?" Connor exclaimed, struggling against his tightening bands.

Mr. Summertin said nothing, instead kneeling and drawing on the stone floor. Connor rolled towards him, trying to knock him away from his runes. Mr. Summertin grabbed him held Connor over the giant chasm by the paper rune, the light below growing in intensity, seemingly hungry for a sacrifice.

"You've proven yourself a nuisance, you little wretch," Mr. Summertin snarled, eyes flashing in anger. "You leave me no choice."

Connor felt the paper enclosure around him weaken. Mr. Summertin threw him into the chasm.

Spiraling down, Connor struggled against the restraints, and it finally broke. As magical energy rushed back into him, he pushed against his descent and began to rise.

I won't let Meridian die too. I have to stop Mr. Summertin from getting that mirror.

Floating for a moment to build energy, he noticed beneath him the light clawing its way towards him at a scarily rapid pace. Whatever it was, Connor didn't like it.

He shot upward, expelling all of his energy, blindly speeding towards Meridian's platform. Gracefully, he arced over the edge and floated a couple inches above the smooth metal trap. To his side, he noticed a stone path forming towards the mirror.

Turning towards Meridian, he began to heat his hands.

"Connor, leave me. You don't deserve this," she said, her eyes streaming. "Stop Saige, leave me."

"I won't let you die too," He looked behind him, Mr. Summertin glancing their direction before sprinting over his unfinished bridge. Connor turned back to Meridian and lifted his hands to burn through her ties. Upon contact, Meridian's skin began to glow. Desperately, Connor grabbed her arms, warm to his touch. Her face glowed brightly, eyes shining like beacons.

Her mouth opened, light escaping. Accompanying it, she whispered, "It was a trap. Connor, you have to go, now."

Though Connor tried to let go, he found his hands glued to her arms. Magic drained from his body, he fell to the metal floor, legs buckling. Then the floor dropped into the light of the abyss.