Chapter 12

"Why would she attack me?" Connor asked for the millionth time that night.

He was at the hotel, sitting in his room with Adam and Kirk.

After he took off Meridian's mask, the three of them were escorted out of the Speckled Owl and dropped off in their hotel room, where they were to stay until further notice. None of them knew what was happening.

"There has to be a logical explanation," Adam said from the edge of his bed, dangling his feet and sending small pulses into the air.

"If there is, I can't think of one," Connor said, laying on his bed. "She must be part of the rival camp. That's the end of it."

"That isn't logical," Kirk said, beginning to pace. "Have you forgotten her feelings for Mr. Summertin?"

"That could've been a façade," Adam shot back, flipping onto his back and hanging upside-down off his bed. "Attraction would be easy to fake."

"Fine, what if she was part of the rival camp? What difference would it make?" Kirk said.

Adam sighed. "Don't you get it? If she was part of the rival camp, she would've had multiple opportunities to betray Cirque Periculum, but she hasn't."

"Until now," Kirk muttered.

"Yeah, until now," Adam said. "Which is why it doesn't make sense. If Meridian was a part of the rival camp, she just threw away years of cover to try to assassinate Connor."

Kirk shrugged. "He does have two gifts. She probably sent word back to the camp and they told her to kill him."

Connor sat up. "Guys, don't talk about me like I'm not here."

"Sorry," Kirk and Adam muttered.

A knock interrupted their conversation. Connor launched himself off his bed and bolted to the door. Maybe they had more information about Meridian.

Mr. Summertin stood in the hallway, hat in his hand and a small smile on his face. Bags had appeared under his eyes, and his hair was in disarray.

"Good evening Connor," Mr. Summertin said.

"Evening," Connor muttered. Part of him thought that it would be Meridian waiting on the other side of the door to explain everything to him.

"Mind if I talk to you out here for a second?" he asked, glancing behind him.

"Not at all," Connor said, stepping out the door and shutting it.

Then they were alone. Connor didn't know what to expect from this man. He had seen from one extreme to the other, and he personally didn't want to see either right then.

"How are you feeling?" Mr. Summertin asked.

Connor nodded. "As well as I can after that."

Mr. Summertin chuckled. "I guess I can't blame you for that."

They stood awkwardly for a moment, as if Mr. Summertin was waiting for him to respond.

When Connor didn't, he continued. "I assume you know why I came up to talk to you tonight."

"How is she?" Connor blurted out.

"Meridian is safe. She is being escorted back to the train, where she'll be locked up until we get back to camp."

Connor sighed, but didn't say anything. He didn't know what to feel about his instructor. His brain continually searched for a logical explanation.

"I came to talk to you because while you didn't officially make your decision about your gifts, it seems as if it's been made for you."

Connor looked up at him. "What do you mean?"