Chapter 7.1

Connor listened as the crowd began to file in, occasionally peeking through the gap in the fabric to see people walking directly under his platform. The darkness enveloped him completely, making it difficult to look out into the well-lit tent. Everything was in place, yet Connor felt that his nerves were going to jump out of his throat. He didn't understand why he felt so nervous. Even when he stole he had never felt this way.

Finally after what felt like hours, the lights below Connor dimmed to blackness. The same voice that he remembered hearing in Greenview boomed through the speakers, causing people to jump.

"WELCOME TO CIRQUE PERICULUM! BEFORE WE BEGIN, WE ASK THAT YOU WILL REFRAIN FROM TAKING ANY PICTURES, NAMELY FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY. PLEASE, ENJOY THE SHOW."

Connor wiped the palms of his hands on his knees, trying to calm himself. He didn't perform until halfway through the show. He had nothing to worry about.

Just as it did in Greenview, a single spotlight shone on Mr. Summertin, who seemingly appeared out of nowhere on center stage. Beaming at the audience, he welcomed all of them in his usual fashion. Connor didn't pay much attention. He was too busy running through his performance in his head.

Mr. Barge and Adam walked onto the stage as Mr. Summertin left. Their neon costumes were opposite of each other. While Adam had neon yellow suit and tie with an electric blue shirt and pants, Mr. Barge had neon yellow shirt and pants with an electric blue suit and tie.

Connor couldn't help but laugh. Adam had his hair greased back and he wore a very strained grin on his face. Connor could see his hands shaking from where he sat.

Adam and Mr. Barge continued walking until they were on opposite sides of the stage. Music started playing, a tribal drum beating over the speakers.

The two performers nodded to each other, and with a flourish of their hands they each sent out a pulse of pure blue light, and the tent's lights went out.

In the blackness Connor saw two glowing figures on the stage. The walls of the tent glowed softly, casting a dim red tinted light onto the stage.

The black lights under Connor began to glow as well, making the audience do the same.

Adam and Mr. Barge both began to pulse softly to the rhythm of the drums. Dull green light washed over the audience and rose up the sides of the tent in a steady beat.

Connor watched as Mr. Barge and Adam met up in center stage. Both of them were glowing from head to toe now, skin, hair and all. Adam's blue skin and electric yellow hair looked eerie as he continued to force a smile.

"You can do it Adam," Connor whispered to himself.

Adam crouched to the ground, his hands parallel to the ground on either side of him. The drums began to beat faster, louder. More instruments joined in, adding to the building noise.

The music grew louder and louder until- Adam jumped into the air, propelled by his pulse. A steady stream of blue flowed from his hands to the ground. He hung suspended above center stage. Mr. Barge walked directly under him and pulsed upwards, catapulting Adam even higher. The beams of light that flew from Adam's hands raced across the audience, illuminating surprised expressions and cheers. The audience clapped when Adam hit the ground again, his arms up over his head.

Meridian floated over to Connor. He continued to watch beneath him for a moment before he spoke.

"How do people not realize that this is magic? It seems pretty obvious," Connor said softly.

"I think that it's obvious to us because we know what they do," Meridian said. "Those people out there watching don't know that. Most humans are more willing to believe in something they already know exists, like flying cables and spotlights, than the unknown."

"I guess so... When I watched this show I couldn't explain some of the things you guys were doing, but I don't remember ever thinking that it was magic. I'll bet Adam thought it was though."

They both looked down at Adam, who was now glowing brightly and jumping around the tent over the audience's heads.

"Children are more willing to believe in magic," Meridian said softly. "Maybe you've just grown up."

Meridian floated back to her spot as Mr. Barge and Adam finished their performance and the lights came back on.

Have I really grown up that much?

***

Don't forget to vote! Thank you :)