Chapter 15.1

Connor walked in and noticed immediately the effort that was put into making this room feel more comfortable. A small window sat on the wall opposite of the door, casting a warm glow onto the pale green walls and the glossy-finished wooden floors. A desk sat in the center of the room, and Captain Summertin had only just enough room to walk between the desk and a bookshelf to the other side, where a plush black office chair sat. There was only one other seat in the room, and Connor took it before being invited to.

Once he was seated, Connor looked closer at the desk to see if he saw any runes inscribed in it. Maybe he's not a Rune Mage, Connor thought when he didn't find any.

Captain Summertin sat in the office chair and adjusted a small oval mirror that sat on the edge of his desk. Connor supposed the mirror was reflective on either side when he saw his reflection staring back at him.

Other than the mirror, the desk held only a few papers and pens as well as a glass paperweight that was shaped like a dragon. Connor stared at the paperweight, waiting for it to move, but it stayed still.

"I suppose you want to know why I requested your presence today," Captain Summertin said, drawing Connor's attention away from the paperweight.

"You suppose correctly, I would love to know why you kidnapped me- oh, I mean 'requested my presence.'" Connor said, rolling his eyes.

The Captain cleared his throat and grimaced, but the face was gone in a moment and replaced with a smile. Must run in the family or something.

"Word has gotten to me that my brother has been meddling with some things he should not be meddling in," Captain Summertin said. "I want to know if you know anything about it. My source has said that you seem to be a vital, somewhat mysterious piece in my brother's plan."

Connor leaned back and stretched his legs out in front of him. "I'm afraid you're going to have to be more specific then that Mr. Summertin."

"Captain," Captain Summertin corrected. "I understand you were in Texas recently. Is that correct?"

"Yeah, we were there doing a show there until..." Connor paused, glaring at the man, "until someone from your camp tried to kill me!"

Wesley tapped his fingers on the glass dragon. "I have to apologize for that I guess. Eric was sent to spy on the circus as soon as we heard you were in Flower Mound. I'm not sure what happened, but he acted on his own accord against orders when he sabotaged your performance. When he reported what he did he was demoted and sent to the military."

Connor looked down at his hands, somewhat disappointed. He thought back to Amanda's prophecy. There went one piece of evidence that pointed to Mr. Salem for having darker goals and betraying the camp.

"So Connor, while you were in Texas, did you do anything that didn't seem to relate to the circus?"

"Of course we did. Mr. Summertin sent some of my friends to get groceries, and I spent a lot of time hanging out with them."

Wesley tapped the dragon a few more times. "Is there anything else that you did that is more out of the ordinary?"

Connor opened his mouth and the words fell out. "After I fell and ruined the circus, Mr. Summertin took a few of us to a graveyard that was a little ways away from the Flower Mound. He was looking for something, but my friends followed us and I scared them and then they fell into one of the creepy glowing crosses and this whole maze popped up. Kirk said Summertin was searching for a relic."

Why did I say that?

Captain Summertin nodded. If he was surprised, he certainly didn't show it.