Chapter 14

His eyes were wide open, his mouth agape and filled with yellow foam. His hair was tousled from the wind, and a trickle of blood ran from his nose down his cheek.

He's dead.

Adam is dead.

Connor lurched forward, his eyes flying open and his hand clutching his stomach. His breathing was staggered, shortened, ragged. His nose was filled with the smell of antiseptic.

He was sitting on his bed in his hotel room in the dark. His eyes scanned his surroundings and he realized he was alone.

Adam's not here. He's dead.

Tears stung his eyes and threatened to stream out. He stood abruptly and stumbled to the door, yanking it open. Light spilled into the room from the hallway, revealing an empty hallway.

I need to find him.

He sprinted past the hallway, past the darkened windows and glossy wooden doors.

"He's fine Riley," a familiar voice echoed past him.

Connor skidded to a halt. He looked around for the source and noticed a hotel room door cracked open ever so slightly.

Not dating to breathe, Connor inched closer to the wall and peeked his head through the opening.

"Sir, when he wakes up, he won't be fine. That was too far this time. Adam didn't deserve that," Riley's voice met his ears.

Mr. Summertin and Riley stood inches from Connor's face. Neither of them noticed the intrusion.

"Adam isn't dead Riley," Mr. Summertin said in a hushed tone. "We'll let Connor see him when he wakes up."

"I'm not worried about Connor sir. I'm worried about Meridian. She knows what we did." Riley stifled back a sob.

Connor furrowed his brow and inched his head in further. What on earth could they be talking about?

Mr. Summertin folded his arms and turned closer to the door. His face didn't carry the usual grin. Dark circles had formed under his eyes and his jawbone appeared more pronounce, giving him a skeletal appearance.

"Wesley must of found her then. We need to heighten security on the mainland. If they get a hold of her..."

"Do you want me to go over there again?"

"No, I'll go myself," Mr. Summertin said, reaching for the door. Connor gasped, jumping back and bumping his head on the doorframe.

Mr. Summertin swung the door open.

"Connor," he said with a tight smile, "How long have you been standing there?"

"Long enough!" Connor sprinted down the hallway towards the stairs.

Mr. Salem spotted Connor and Summertin from the lobby and ran at him. Connor spun around, bumping into Mr. Summertin.

"Connor, we need to talk," he said, grabbing his collar.

"Let. Me. GO!" Connor shouted, lighting a ball of flame in his hand. Mr. Summertin jerked back and Connor shoved past him.

Where do I go?

Connor eyed the window that sat at the end of the hallway by his hotel room. A window that led to the night sky. A window that could be his ticket out.

A door opened to Connor's right and Kirk stepped out.

"Connor, where are you going?" Kirk said as Connor sprinted past.