Chapter 8.1

What time is it?

Connor couldn't guess as he walked down the sidewalk in between Largo and Meridian. Mr. Summertin walked a few feet in front of them, talking jovially to Mr. Salem and the man Connor didn't know.

He felt sure that he saw the man around the camp before, but he couldn't put a name to his face. His black hair that often fell over his face made him look young. Connor guessed he was about eighteen, but his face sported a skiff of facial hair under his mouth in a soul patch. He towered over Mr. Summertin, which was a feat, seeing Mr. Summertin was over six feet tall. It seemed like it would be hard to miss him, yet Connor couldn't remember him at all.

"Meridian, who is that guy?" Connor asked, nodding toward the tall man.

Largo answered first. "That is Kirklane Munch. He is an... interesting fellow."

"Interesting? What do you mean?" Connor said.

Meridian spoke up, "Nobody knows much about him. He wasn't selected like you were Connor. He came to Saige, pleading to join after a show one night. This was when he was eight years old. His parents were both in jail, charged with murder, or so he claimed."

"He isn't exactly the most talkative," Largo added.

Connor glanced at Kirklane, who's shoulders were slumped and his head down. "What's his gift?"

"He is very rare. His gift is I mean," Largo said. "I forget what it is though."

Connor furrowed his brow. "So no one knows why he's here? I mean, he just showed up one day? How did he know you all had gifts like him? Or that he even had a gift?"

"I don't know," Meridian said.

"He doesn't talk about his life before the circus."

Connor was so enthralled he didn't notice that they had stopped in front of him, and he bumped into Kirklane. The towering man turned and glared at him with green eyes that almost seemed to glow.

"Sorry," Connor muttered, retreating a few steps.

Kirklane just shook his head and turned back around.

Where are we anyways?

Connor looked up to see that they had stopped in front of a little white church. The sign a few feet away from him denoted it as the Flower Mound Presbyterian Church. Connor didn't know much about Presbyterians, seeing he himself wasn't particularly religious.

To the left of the church was a cemetery. It's glowing crosses accompanying the headstones stood as an eerie sight. Connor could see fresh mounds of dirt on the other side. He hated cemeteries.

I don't think we're going grocery shopping.

"Everyone come here. Quickly please," Mr. Summertin called from the front steps of the church. The rest of us hurried over, huddled against the growing chill in the air.

"Before we begin, I wanted to discuss the plan. This is mainly for you Connor, so pay attention."

Connor nodded.

"This mission shouldn't be incredibly dangerous," Mr. Summertin continued. "This relic isn't very well-guarded so we should be in and out. Now, this doesn't mean that you shouldn't be careful. I'm hoping that we don't get any... surprises while we're here."

Relic? What is he talking about? And what surprises?

"Meridian, you and Connor will be on lookout. It's dark enough that nobody should see you up in the air. Kirklane, you'll stay by the entrance until I call you. Mr. Salem will come with me."