Protection (13)

The drive there Jay made me explain to him in detail what happened at the grocery store, what the guy looked like, what he said, did, everything.

"Jay I think I was just being paranoid I think he was just trying to give me my keys." I felt guilty.

"Then why didn't he come forward before? Why did he wait until you were in your car huh?" Jay argued.

"To be fair I was avoiding him..."

"I don't know babe I have a bad feeling about this."

Jay parked in front of his building. I grabbed the keys that were still in my hands and opened my purse to put them away. I was speechless and I felt my eyes start to water.

"y/n? y/n what's wrong?" Jay asked me.

I pulled out my keys from my bag, I raised my hands to show Jay. I was holding two exact copies of my keys, with the same key chains. "Jay those weren't my keys, mine were in my purse the whole time." my voice quivered.

Jay reached into his pocket and pulled some gloves out. "Don't touch them y/n, here." He said reaching his palms out for me to place the keys on.

"Jay, how did he...who was that guy?"

"You're staying with me until this gets sorted, Cmon."

Jay and I walked up to his apartment, I was trying my best to calm down while Jay made a few phone calls to the district giving them all the information I gave him.

I was sitting on his couch trying to calm myself down while I texted my landlord telling him someone else had made a copy of my keys and not to let anyone else in.

Jay hung up. "Ok we've got people working on the case, we think it's most likely the same guy that broke into your apartment. I need to go into the district to drop these off but I don't want you being alone."

"Where am I supposed to go, Jay? I have to work tonight? I can't let this control my life." I tried to reason with him.

"You still have a few hours before your shift starts so I'll drop you off at the firehouse just while we get some sort of lead on this thing. Please, I need to know you're safe."

I hesitantly agreed. I grabbed my purse and left the apartment with Jay, we took my car.

Once we arrived at the firehouse we saw Gabby, Casey, Kelly, and Chief Boden out front. "Hi, guys." Gabby greeted us.

Jay and I waved. "Guys, do you mind if I talk to you for a minute?" Jay asked the boys, he agreed and walked away with them while Gabby and I walked into the firehouse.

Once we were inside I explained everything to Gabby. The guys walked in later.

"y/n anything you need just let us know, you're always welcome to stay here as long as you like. You're part of the family." Boden told me.

"Thanks, Chief." I gave him a smile.

I hated being the victim, I hated that ever since I got to Chicago all everyone was doing was watching out for me. I loved the fact that everyone was willing to protect me no matter what but I want to stop needing protection.

I couldn't sit around doing nothing so I offered to cook for everyone while I waited for my shift to start. Hermann had insisted I didn't work tonight but that was the only thing keeping me busy so I knew I had to. After everyone had lunch I told them I'd head to Molly's early to get everything ready before opening.

Before anyone could protest a voice echoed throughout the firehouse alerting them of a fire they all had to attend to.

"I'll be ok guys. Now go save some lives." I told them all before they ran off.