eleven

11

          CLOSING THE CAR DOOR, I took in the view of the house in front of me. It wasn’t as big as my house but its sure looked way more homey than mine. Harry locked the doors and went to my side. Lacing our fingers together, we walked towards the gate of the house that my best friend lived.

          Once we arrived at the front door, I rang the bell once since I already heard the sounds of footsteps coming towards the wooden door. The door was swung open, revealing Liam’s mother, Karen. She gave the two of us a smile before motioning us to step inside the house.

          The living room was well decorated and smelt of scented candles which I couldn’t out a finger on what scent it was. Baby pictures of Liam and his sisters, Nicola and Ruth were placed on the coffee tables and some were hung on all the walls of the Payne’s household.

          “It’s been a while since I been here,” I spoke up with a smile on my face. It was true actually. I had been too busy recently to visit Karen and the rest of the family. “Where’s Liam?”

          “He’s in his room,” Karen replied. Her eyes glanced down to my hand were in Harry’s, “Oh you must be Natalie’s boyfriend, Harry. Nice to meet you. We never met before, eh?”

          Harry nodded, “Yeah, it’s nice to meet you too, Mrs. Payne.”

        “Oh no need with the Mrs. Call me Karen.” Liam’s mother informed Harry. She turned away from the curly boy and looked at me, “Do you want me to ask Liam to come down?”

          I shook my head in response, “It’s all right. We’ll just go upstairs if you don’t mind.”

          Karen mimicked my movement before saying, “I don’t mind at all. I’ll go make some tea for you both and Liam too.” She scurried away into the kitchen, preparing a pot of tea.

           I led Harry up the stairs since he wasn’t familiar to the house while I knew the whole thing you have to know about the house. I had been here loads of time and there was a time where I was hiding away from my parents and I slept in the attic with Liam of course. It’s bloody dark in there and I’m afraid of the dark.

          I knocked on Liam’s bedroom door that was closed and had a ‘Please knock’ sign hung by an old rusted nail on it. Within seconds, my best friend appeared at the door. He was just wearing a white t shirt with a pair of boxer shorts. Nah, I didn’t mind it at all considering I was used to seeing him in those. But we never saw each other naked. And I wished we will never will.

          “Oh hi Liam,” I said, still standing in front of the door.

         “Why are you guys here?” Liam asked the two of us with his eyebrows furrowing together, “You could at least tell me first.”

          “Sorry, Liam. I have to tell you something.”

          Liam sighed before speaking up, “Well, come on in.”

          Harry and I entered his bedroom that was neat for a seventeen year old boy. Usually, seventeen year old boys have a really messy room but Liam was definitely not like them. Of course as soon as you walked in you would see a few book cases stood strongly with ‘educational’ books sitting on them. Liam had taken a seat on his computer chair with his laptop on while Harry and I sat on his comfy bed.

          “So, what is so important that you came here without bothering to tell me about it first?” Liam questioned me once he put his MacBook on sleep mode.