twenty

20

          I OPENED MY EYES once my alarm had gone off, playing the song Fresh Prince of Bel Air that I had picked for my alarm tone the Monday morning. Sitting up and resting my back on my headboard, I sighed as I turned the alarm off. Most people hated Monday because I didn’t really know why actually. I supposed it was because it was the first day of school or work and they still hadn’t satisfied with the two days of weekends. Well, believe it or not, I was one of those people. For today only though. Want to know why? It was because I have to see that idiotic curly haired boy.

          Deciding not to go any further to that topic, I climbed out of my bed to get ready for school. I tied my hair in a tight bun on top of my head since I decided not to wash it today. I walked towards my closet and chose a dark green long sleeved shirt paired with a pair of black skinny jeans and a cream coloured scarf. After picking my clothes, I laid it out on my bed while I went to the bathroom to get freshen up for a new school day.

+

“Hey, mum.” I greeted my mum as I took a seat at the dining table. I spotted Dad’s usual place was unoccupied and looked like it hadn’t been seated yet by him, “Where’s Dad?”

          I heard Mum sighed, “I don’t know. He went early today. He has loads of work, I suppose.”  She had placed a big plate of pancakes in front of me and kissed my right temple before she left me alone, “Eat up, darling.”

         Somehow, the tone of her voice wasn’t that happy. She sounded sad. Did anything happen between my parents that I should be worried about? What if they’re getting a divorce– whoa, wait, Nat, you’re not thinking straight. I mean, that was never going to happen. I decided to throw that thought away and ate my breakfast.

          After I had finished eating my breakfast, I put the plate with the used cutlery in the sink, not bothering to wash it and just left it for my mother to do it for me. I took the house key and my black winter coat as I walked towards the front door. Since I was not friends with Harry anymore, I had to walk like I used to before Harry came along. The cold London air hit me as soon as I was out of my house. The landscape before me that used to be my lawn, the familiar pavement and the roads were barely visible to my eyes as they were all covered with a white blanket of snow. I took out my iPod along with my earphones that had surprisingly been neatly wrapped around it—it wasn’t a surprise though since Liam had borrowed mine over the weekends. I couldn’t be bothered to wrap it around my iPod. I usually just let it all tangled up in my bag that the next time I wanted to use it I had to untangle them which I seriously despised to do that. The things I do to myself . . . After putting the ear buds in my ears, I clicked on a random sing and it played keeping me company through my journey to school.

          I feel so alone though . . .

          “Heya, Nat.”

          Yay! I’m not alone anymore.

          I took out both of my earphones and shoved them into my bag where it was belonged as well as my iPod. Look! I didn’t wrap it around my iPod. Told ya!

          “Hey,” I replied with a smile on my face, “Your car broke down again, Niall?” I asked, trying not to laugh as I recalled the memory when I talked to him about three months ago.

          Niall chuckled from beside me, clearly remembered the memory like I did, “You already know me so well but not really. Me Dad’s car broke down so he had to use my car for work.” The boy beside me shoved his hands in both of his pockets as we walked towards the school, “So, no more rehearsals huh?”