twenty-three

23

          “Natalie?”

          I was in my room when my mum called my name, doing last minute packing of my bag for school. “I’ll be down in a second.” My hand reached for the hair band on my dresser table and tied my hair in a high ponytail.

          Friday. A day before the prom that I had to go with George. Other than that, tonight, the school was having ‘Parents Teacher Day’ where your parents will meet the teachers and have a talk about you. I was feeling pretty nervous about this—even though I was not going—mainly because my parents’ were going to meet Harry’s mum. Yeah.

          “Why did you call me?” I said as I picked up a granola bar in the kitchen.

          “Here it is!” My mum announced happily with her hands, holding my perfect dress for my prom tomorrow.

          I walked up towards where Mum was standing to touch the fabric of the dress. It was just a very simple dress but I liked it. The dress didn’t have any sequins or frills just a strapless dress that was black with a few silver studs on it and it landed just above my knees when I held the dress up in front of me. “It’s very simple yet I love it!”

          “Glad you like it.” Mum stretched out her arms for me to hug her as a sign of gratitude. She rubbed my back soothingly when we hugged then she eventually pulled away, “Now go to school. Don’t want to be late.”

          “Yeah, thanks Mum.” After pecking her on the cheek, I took the front door keys and the granola before I started my journey to school.

+

“How’s your dress so far?” Liam questioned me when we were already settled in Drama class. As usual we were the first ones to be there.

          “It’s going great!”

          Suddenly, Harry walked in hurriedly that made our conversation paused for a while until he had sat at the back of the class.

          “Anyway,” I resumed the conversation we had before Harry had walked in, “I’m pretty nervous for tonight . . .”

          Liam’s eyebrows met as they furrowed together in curiosity, “Why? It’s not like you’re going to be there.”

          “I know,” I changed my voice so it sounded like a whisper as I didn’t want Harry to hear what I was going to say, “But my parents are meeting Harry’s mum! Who knows what they’re going to talk about!”

“I’m sure it’s going to be just fine. They’ll just talk about how you were in class. That’s all.” Liam tried to reassure me with saying those words while putting his large hand on my shoulder, squeezing it lightly.

+

Lunch time. When I had arrived to school, I went to my locker to do the usual stuff like get my books and . . . checked if B had sent me any notes yet. This morning, I didn’t receive any so I supposed ‘B’ already put a note by lunch time. Opening my locker, just I had suspected, there was a note.

Dear Natalie,

I think it’s time for you to know who I really am. I’m sure you are pretty curious on who I am. Yes, I had become quite close to you. Meet me at the Art class after school finishes. Make sure no one’s following you.

Can’t wait to see you,

B x

          I was not sure if I should be happy that I will know who’s the one who had been sending me messages for the past few weeks.  I decided not to guess who it was even though B already had given me a clue. Some part of me didn’t want to know who it was because he was a mysterious lad and that was why I liked him.