twenty-one

21

          “Natalie?”

          My head jerked up to see my best friend’s face, “Yeah?”

          “You spaced out again.” Liam told me for the third time as he picked up a French fry that he had purchased from the school’s canteen. He was telling me his weird dream which he was abducted by aliens and they threatened him to give them his most favourite thing in the world, his hair products. Yeah, pretty shocking right? I was very sure if people who didn’t know him well enough would probably be shock considering he was a nerd and usually, ‘nerds’ didn’t care about their appearances. Well, they were really wrong about it. Even though I spaced out, I still knew the story line. But I guessed I did missed a few exciting points of his dream.

          “Sorry,” I mumbled before I took a sip from my water bottle that I had taken from my house this morning, “I keep doing that frequently now, huh? I’m afraid it’s becoming more like a habit soon.”

          “I hope not.” Liam replied with a mouthful of French fry.

          I didn’t really know why I was spacing out a lot lately. It was not only when we were in the canteen having lunch but it also happened in the classrooms. I usually just pretending to listen to the teacher with my eyes glued to the black board while my mind was wandering about something else. I could always study by myself or ask Liam about it so that wasn’t a big of a deal. The main problem was I was starting to think my parents saw how I was acted a bit weird and not like my usual self lately. Mum always asked me how I am every day that made me a bit curious on why so sudden she cared about me so much. It was not like Mum never cared about me but right now, it seemed like her care for me had increased. Sometimes it made me irritated with her constant questions. Dad on the other hand was quiet nowadays which made me jumped to conclusions that he felt guilty. Well, he should be. What was happening right now was partially his fault. Although I wasn’t blaming him.

          When I spaced out from reality, the same thing kept on circulating in my head. It was the scene in the bathroom again with Harry and Brianna. I just . . . didn’t understand why I kept on thinking about Harry. I should have just forgotten about him completely and acted like he never existed in my life but I failed at doing so. First, he went to the same school so I easily could see him walking down the hallways. Second, I had the same classes with him. Not all of them though but a few. So I still have to see his face. His handsome face. Gosh, Natalie. Quit thinking about him! Lastly, he had taken my heart. As much as I hated him right now, my love for him kept ruining my plan that I wanted to stay away from him. Why did this boy have to appear in my life?

          A finger snapped in front of me, bringing me back to reality. Liam’s face had the word annoyed written on his face. I knew he had been patient dealing with me this week. I didn’t tell Liam what happened on Monday after he had left. I chose not to. I tried to forget about it but currently, I couldn’t. Liam just assumed I was missing about Harry or it was the time of the month. Truth was, I didn’t really know what he actually thought about why I was acting like this.

          “You did it again.” Liam sighed, running a hand down his face, “You better tell me what happened after the lacrosse game on Monday. I knew something happened, Nat because you were fine before I left.”

          I shook my head, “You don’t need to worry about me okay, Li? I’m fine.” I tried my best to give him a real smile, proving that I meant every word I said. Although, I think I failed at it miserably.