forty

40|apprentice

"Celeste is here." Celeste announced excitedly as she burst into her old apartment, startling the mother and daughter. "Party time."

"Girls night without the alcohol?" Emma smirked at the woman, handing her the cup of hot chocolate she had just made for everyone. "Are you feeling okay?"

"Promised Rumpel." She shrugged, helping bring the bowls of snacks over to the couch. Celeste cuddled up, resting her cup on her knees.

"So, why the sudden girls night?" Snow questioned her curiously, sipping her own drink.

"I have news." Celeste informed them, pulling the scan out her back pocket and placing it on the small table infront of the pair.

"Is that?" Emma stared up at her wide eyed while Snow squealed excitedly. "Are you?"

"Preggers?" She grinned, putting her cup down so Snow could hug her. "I'm freaking pregnant."

"Congratulations, Cel." Snow squeezed her tightly before looking down at her stomach. "How far along?"

"Almost two weeks."

"I'm so happy for you." Emma leaned over and gave her a quick embrace before sitting back down, trying to find the pea sized baby in the ultrasound. "How long have you been wanting a baby? I swear ever since I first came here you wanted a baby."

"Since I fell in love with Rumpel." Celeste revealed, sipping her hot chocolate with a wide smile. "I lost one baby, I didn't realise at first but this time I will protect this child with all my love and power."

"I don't think I can imagine Mr. Gold as a father." Snow chuckled, shaking the thought off.

"He was a good father, I can tell." She nodded to herself. "Neal turned out perfect, besides leaving his pregnant girlfriend to face prison."

"Oh yeah, besides that." Emma said sarcastically, rolling her eyes. Their happy mood was shifted as Charming wandered into the room, glancing around the three women.

"Did something happen?" He asked with concern, placing his hand on Snow's shoulder. His eyes moved to the picture on the table, immediately moving to stare at his daughter. "You go on one date with Hook and this happens?"

"Calm down." Celeste laughed, picking the picture and admiring it. "It's my child, your daughter is still innocent."

"You're pregnant?" Charming gave her an awkward hug, congratulating her and Rumpel.

~•~

After phoning Emma about the stranger in her library, Celeste watched as the Sheriff took him away and locked up the place. She wandered down the street, admiring the breeze and sunshine.

"Love." Rumpel opened his arms, allowing his wife to run into his embrace. He rubbed her back, smiling into her hair as she told him about her adventures at the library.

"He was hugging 'Alice in Wonderland' so I'm wondering if that's the land he is from." Celeste hummed, refusing to let go from his comfort. "I could stay in your arms forever."

"I'm holding you to that, dearie." He chuckled, kissing her forehead before looking up at the sound of the bell. "Henry?"

"Hello." She waved at the boy, reluctantly letting go off her husband. "Excuse me, I'm going to put the kettle on." She walked into the back room, eavesdropping on their conversation.

"A job?" Rumpel asked with confusion, shocked by the boys question.

"You know, after school and weekends." Henry explained to him. "Now that my father's gone, I realised that you're the closest thing I've got to him. But if you don't want me around."

"No, well." He stopped his grandson from leaving as Celeste stuck her head in the room, warning him he better hire family. "All right, a few days a week. But, uh, stay out of the back room, and don't touch anything without asking. You can be my apprentice."

"My heart." Celeste awed at the scene she was secretly witnessing, happy to see Henry want to spend more time with his darker side of the family.

"What does an apprentice do?"

"Many, Manu things." Rumpel nodded to him before gesturing to a broom. "First you can start by sweeping the floor."

"I was just thinking that it's good Henry wants to spend more time with us." She said her thoughts aloud as Rumpel joined her in the doorway, both watching Henry sweep.

"And whys that, love?"

"Because his mother's side of the family are all light and perfect." Celeste explained quietly. "He needs a reminder that not everything is unicorns and rainbows."