forty two

42|the snow queen

Celeste bit her nails nervously as she remembered how she had met Anna all those years ago. She was only sixteen at the time when she traveled to Arendelle, trying to figure out how to save her kingdom from the trolls.

"Celeste?" A voice broke her from her thoughts as they entered the store. "Where are you heading?"

"To the North Woods. Where the Snow Queen is hiding?" She revealed her plan, her dagger in her hand.

"And what business do you have with her?" Rumple asked her curiously, stepping closer to his distraught wife.

"I have to fix a mistake that I made a long time ago." Celeste placed her dagger in her holster on her thigh.

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm afraid I can't tell you." She sighed in frustration. "You wouldn't understand."

"Whether or not that's true, the fact that she defeated both Emma and Regina." He reminded her, stopping in front of her. "She is far more dangerous than you realise."

"I know." She pursed her lips in thoughts. "That's why I was hoping my big strong husband would come with me to protect me."

"I'm sorry, Celeste, that's out of the question." He scoffed, walking away from her and further into the store. "I won't let you anywhere near her."

"I was worried you were going to say that." Celeste grabbed the Dark One dagger with shaky hands. "Because I really didn't want to do this but I need you."

"Cel, I gave you that dagger because I trusted you." Rumpel breathed out heavily at the sight of her. "Because I thought you would never want to control me."

"I'm not using it to control you." She reassured him, grabbing his hand and forcing him to look into her eyes. "I'm showing you that I'm so desperate that I would debate going against your trust to use it. So please, Rumpel, come with me so I don't die."

Rumpel sighed reluctantly, knowing that he had no other choice. The determination in her eyes was enough for him to cave in. He led her through the woods, stopping at an icy cave.

"This is where she is hiding?" Celeste chuckled, realising how easy it was to find her as she lived in an ice cave.

"She's not at home." He stated, trying to figure out what his wife was thinking. "I don't sense her magic."

"Good." She smiled at him. "You stay here as look out, I'm heading inside."

"Celeste, you're not going in there alone." He stopped her, grabbing her wrist and forcing her to look at him.

"Look, I won't be long. I just need to find something." She stepped forwards, placing a gentle kiss on his lips.

"What could you possibly want from the Snow Queen's cave?" Rumpel argued as she began to walk to the cave.

"A hat." Celeste kept walking, refusing to look at him. "One that can strip a magical being of their powers."

"Sounds like a remarkable object." He said mockingly. "Almost too good to be true. Which means it probably is."

"It isn't and I know she has it." She argued with him, growing frustrated that he was not trusting her. "And I need to get it from her. It's the only way to force her to tell us where Anna is."

"So this is about Elsa's sister?" He grabbed her hand again, stopping her once more. "Why are you so invested in a girl you've never even met?"

"Because I have met her." Celeste yelled, lashing out at him. "And I owe her so much so just trust me for once. Keep watch. I'll call out if I need your help."

"Celeste."

"Don't." She glared at him as she grabbed her dagger from her thigh. "I can't deal with you anymore."

Celeste took a moment to admire the beautiful ice home, pulling her coat tighter as the cold got to her.

"Celeste." A female voice repeatedly called her name, it echoing around the room. "Over here, Celeste."

She hesitantly walked over to the covered mirror, pulling the cloth off and jumping back in fear as her reflection greeted her, seeming alive.l

"Hello, Celeste." The mirror spoke to her. "I was hoping you'd find me. I'm surprised you were brave enough to come in here."

"I feel insulted." Celeste glared at her reflection. "I have to find a way to help Anna."

"Why?" It smirked at her. "You never really cared much for her before. You chose that rock over her. You had to protect your people, no matter what the cost. She died because of you and you know it. No wonder they never include you in missions anymore. You're no hero."

"Stop." She screamed, the cave shaking as she felt the venom in her viens start to awaken.

"Everyone sees you for what you really are, Celeste." The mirror continued to mock her. "A pathetic coward. I mean, why do you think the Dark One married you? You think it was love? He needed someone weak. Someone he could manipulate."

"You're lying. I know he loves me." The tears poured freely down her cheeks. "You're just trying to tear me down, ruin my spirit."

"Why don't you ask him to come save you?" It laughed at her. "You and I both know that the dagger hidden in your coat is fake."

"Celeste?" Rumpel ran into the cave, growing worried as he saw it shake. "The Snow Queen's approaching the cave."

She was frozen in place as he tried to speak to her, his dagger clutched tightly in her hand.

"Look at me." He stepped between her and the mirror. "Don't look in the mirror, look at me. We have to leave."

Celeste lifted the dagger, swiping it across his neck. He grabbed her tightly as she tried to attack him again.

"You don't know what you're doing."