Chapter 34

Joe soon left to his office, and I made my way back downstairs. I didn't feel like being in a social setting or a party for that matter, but I couldn't really escape it. If I hid upstairs for so long, I'm sure someone would question it, and I didn't trust being upstairs on my own in a house full of strangers.

Bill had really fucked me over. I really liked him after the night we shared, but I couldn't see him the same thinking that he could've done anything with those minors. I wondered what Hillary thought, and if she was in on it too. I found it disgusting that he was still walking free, and had the influence he did.

"Hey Clarice, you busy?" I reached the end of the living room until jeb stopped me. I shook my head no, and he held the back door open for us to go out. I took his offer, and his arm as we started walking down the grass.

"Growing bored of them?" He agreed and I thought he might, Jeb didn't come off as the most extroverted character but instead more quiet and timid. "So am I. I feel like everyone's watching me, trying to figure out who I am. I bet joes had to go over it a million times tonight, and I wouldn't be surprised if they knew what happened."

"What happened?" I started to tell him of the shooting at my last carers, but it turned out he had heard as well. "I hope your doing ok, I can't imagine how you would feel in that moment, I'm sorry you had to go through that."

"It's alright jeb, thank you. I'm just glad I'm safe now. It was bloody scary, I don't know how I survived that night in all honesty. I had to be so fast getting the dresser in front of the door." I realised what I was saying, and how easily I fell into talking about it. "sorry, I shouldn't go on. I've not spoke about it properly, only to the police but that's it."

"I don't mind, go on I'll listen. It was quite something, I'd like to here your experience, only if your alright with sharing it of course" he rushed out that last part, I think scared he might of been asking to much.

"Thank you jeb... yeah, Everything was going so fast, but when I heard that gunshot and saw her body fall, just silence. Everything started to move around me, but time had come to a standstill in my head. She was a nice woman Janet. I took her for granted."

"I thought she almost killed you?"

"Yeah she did, but I mean before that. Before hand, she treated me as her own and was devastated when the bidens wanted to take me in. She smiled through her tears when she shared the news, but she was crushed. In the end she snapped, because her relationship was on the rocks, and she was losing me too, unfortunately for me in the end I was left with her."

"I'm so sorry, That's terrible. What became of the man who lived with you?"

"I saw him once after it happened, he looked god awful. He apologised, and I forgave him for leaving me with her. He was broke by it all. He had loved her since high school." I continued to share more about them both, as I had him heavily invested in my story telling.

We continued walking across the grass in linked arms up near the stream/river area. The conversation soon turned into talking about his wife and then his kids, who'd all grown up. "They just slip through your fingers, it feels like only yesterday's was carrying George and Jebby, my sons, upon my shoulders. My daughter too, Noelle." He sighed out that last name, but I didn't stop and ask why I thought it might of come off rude, like I was trying to imply something.

"She was the most difficult. I love her to pieces, but she's been through a lot. She's an addict you see, and when she comes knocking for money and things, it's hard to say no. I do of course, but it breaks my heart when I hear from her and you just know sometimes that, that's her goal."

"I'm sorry jeb, I hope she's alright, and you. It's difficult, because when your on the outside looking in, it can be hard to understand it too. So many families suffer from drug addiction, but it's not really talked about."