(1) renaissance

» renaissance «

» renaissance «

SCOUT PAXTON EYED THE GRAY CLOUDS ABOVE HER CAREFULLY, KEEPING AN EYE ON THE INTRUDING WEATHER THAT THREATENED TO RAIN OUT THE SPECIAL DAY. The overcast created a somber atmosphere, but Scout felt nothing but pure happiness inside her. A sensation she hadn't experienced in so long; she couldn't remember the last time she actually felt joyful. Her teenage years, although littered with cheerful memories here and then, were marked by an overwhelming pressure on her shoulders. She grew up to fast, forcing herself to evolve into the person the world needed her to be.

She had faced the absence of mortality many times. She had overcome trials that should have killed her. She had looked death straight in the face over and over, only to rise from the ashes and becomes something greater. Losing her parents at fourteen years old and being cursed with powerful gifts made her wonder if she would ever make it to this day, but somehow, she did.

Scout Paxton was graduating.

A sentimental day that was meant to be ceremonially celebrated within an entire class to mark the academic accomplishments they had completed. For her, it meant so much more. She'd survived to see this day, and although it didn't look like the traditional experience most high schoolers had, it was everything to her.

She sat on a stone bench out in a courtyard behind the Avengers Complex, outfitted in a white dress and a blue gown. A matching square cap was placed on her head, like a crown symbolizing the true end of her teenage years. Beside her sat Peter wearing the same gown and cap, and she snuck glances at him every few minutes, in awe of how happy he looked.

Pepper Potts stood on a makeshift stage in front of them, a small platform that had been brought out just for the small event. She held a piece of paper in her hands, smiling at the two teenagers before beginning to read it. "Scout and Peter, I have given probably a thousand speeches in my life in front of much larger crowds, but this one seems to have me the most nervous. This is a special day for both of you, and I want you both to feel celebrated in the way you deserve."