back to the future

» back to the future «

SCOUT PAXTON HAD EXPERIENCED MANY DREAMS IN HER LIFE; SOME FICTIONAL, AND SOME REALITY. Sometimes they were completely irrational and bizarre, making no logical sense and easily slipping from her memories once she woke up. Other times, her dreams were a lot more meaningful, and they'd leave her with either a somber spirit or a hopeful outlook on life to come.

Dreams had the power to shape the world around her. The relationship between a dream and actual life was like an exchange of experiences and wishes. Whatever she felt inside or saw around her would then mirror itself in her dreams. And sometimes, her dreams would become predictions of the future, such as when she dreamed about the events leading up to Thanos. It created a sense of familiarity in her future, and even made the reality seem less daunting.

But some of her most powerful and profound dreams were simply recollections of distant memories. She tended to dream about her mother singing her lullabies before bed, or her father coming home from a long day at work and settling in with Scout and Charlotte by the fire, telling them embellished stories about how wonderful the world would be when they grew up. These memories often haunted her, yet she held onto them dearly, soaking in the nostalgia they brought with them.

This awareness of the powers her dreams held prepared her for this particular night. When she slipped away into an alternate universe inside her mind, she was able to recognize that none of it was real; it was all fabricated. But she wasn't prepared for the rawness and realism that the images would hold. She wasn't ready for the heaviness that would weigh on her soul when she saw him inside her dream that night.

Her dream started off with a memory. She was in her bedroom she'd grown up in, everything back to the way it was set when she was in high school. Notes and flash cards were spread across her bed and desk and the curtains were drawn over the window across the room. Scout was standing up, held in none other than Peter's arms.