just your average teen

» just your average teen «

SCOUT PAXTON DIDN'T HATE A LOT OF THINGS. Sure, mosquitos were annoying, but she didn't hate them. She loved warm weather, and she did not hate the cold. She strongly disliked when she would clumsily stub her toe on the doorway, although she didn't hate it.

She hated the song "Yeah" by Usher, though.

The chorus blasted from her phone on her bedside table, signaling that it was seven in the morning, and sadly, time to wake up for the school day. The song had been set as her ringtone for over a year now, and despite her well-deserved hatred towards it, she never made the effort to change it. She just had to ignore the feeling of dread that fell upon her whenever she heard it on the radio, having it being linked to her least favorite part of the day.

As Usher said "Yeah!" for probably the hundredth time, she rolled over and smacked her phone until the god-awful music shut off. She rubbed her eyes and swung her legs over the side of her small bed, feet finding the hardwood, her legs picking her up and carrying her to the bathroom.

She turned on the light, instantly regretting it, for now she could see her reflection in the mirror. She looked more tired than normal, the bags under her eyes seeming to have grown three sizes than the day before. She groaned to herself, turning the tap on to wash her face and brush her teeth.

She wiggled into some jeans and a sweater, quickly putting on some mascara and powder before walking to the kitchen, seeing Charlotte eating a bowl of Reese's puffs at the table, barely awake herself.

Scout ruffled her little sister's hair as she walked by, resulting in Charlotte swatting at her hand. Scout chuckled, starting up the coffee machine, caffeine being the one thing that got her out of bed in the morning. As she waited for the machine to work it's magic, she grabbed a banana and granola bar, taking a seat next to her sister. She looked at the book she was reading, eyes trailing a single sentence and immediately recognizing it.