brooklyn bridge is falling down

» brooklyn bridge is falling down «

THERE WERE THREE THINGS SCOUT PAXTON UNDOUBTEDLY TOOK SERIOUSLY; SCHOOL, CRIME-FIGHTING, AND DECORATING CAKES. School she really had no choice about, she knew that good grades were her set up for a successful life. If she could manage to get a scholarship to college, it would take a huge burden off of her aging grandparents. And then there was crime-fighting, which pretty much came naturally to her. It wasn't something she necessarily enjoyed, but the outcome did make her feel good, seeing people's lives better and the city happier.

As for decorating cakes, Scout didn't do it too often. But when she did, it was all or nothing, ride or die. Nani had taught her the basics of icing, and that with Scout's love for art set her up as a pretty good decorator. She seldom found herself behind the counter in the bakery, but today was different.

She had two cakes in front of her, both ones that Nani had baked the night before and iced, and Scout had woken up early to frost them so they would be fresh for school.

It was the Monday that Scout and Peter's project was due, and to demonstrate the affects of protein malfunction, the pair had decided to have the class try two different cakes, one that followed the recipe perfectly and tasted great, the other had too much flour in it which made it tough and taste terrible. Their goal was to show how one wrong malfunction in copying the recipe can ruin a cake, just like how genetics can be messed up severely by one wrong protein translation.

She heard footsteps from the back of the shop, Charlotte walking in dressed and ready for school, bidding a good morning to Nani and Papa and then joining Scout at the counter, who's eyes were squinting as she added white flowers along the rim of the chocolate cake. After the events of Friday night, Scout was so concerned over her sister's safety, as well as Peter's. Peter had told Scout he'd been in the media room and that his phone died, and Scout took it, more worried about what had actually happened across the street from her apartment. News outlets tried their best to report on the incident, but not even the cops knew what happened. Scout concluded that only Spider-Man knew, but she hadn't run into him over the weekend so she couldn't ask. But whatever it was, she knew it couldn't be good.