revival of the storm

» revival of the storm «

A GASPING BREATH ESCAPED SCOUT PAXTON'S LIPS. Her body sat up straight, blood rushing to her head and causing her eyes to filter in and out of proper vision. Her chest pounded and she struggled to get a full breath of air, coughs and sputters racking her body. She tried to regain her bearings, digging her fingernails into the ground below her, only to feel them sink into a soft soil, and that was when she noticed the water lapping over her legs.

Her sight focused on her environment, and she looked around where she found herself sitting. Saltwater surrounded her, covering her lower body. It was a brighter blue than usual, and it mirrored the aqua-hued sky that stared down on her. Her eyes analyzed the familiar buildings lining the horizon of the shore, and she turned her head to see a boat traveling in the distance.

She knew that boat. She pushed herself out of the water, letting it only rise to her ankles, wondering what she was witnessing. She began to feel a buzzing in the ground below her, and the water began to ripple, causing her to look around to find the cause. A familiar sense washed over her, and she glanced up towards the sky to see a dark blue figure soaring towards the innocent boat.

Scout tried running towards the boat in an attempt to stop the tragedy that was about to happen, but her feet were frozen, rendering her unable to move. She watched in horror as an explosive flew towards the boat, making contact with it and sending plenty of passengers overboard. Scout's eyes widened as she spotted one little girl clinging onto the railing of the ship, as gunshots fired through the air, causing bodies to fall to the deck, and as a large, blue beam of energy erupted from the villain's weapon, coming in contact with the ocean, causing everybody in the water to convulse and then fall limp.

Except for one girl.

Scout closely watched the memory play out, seeing her younger self's head break the surface of the water, being the only one out of dozens to have survived. She remembered that day so vividly; the panic weighing on her shoulders, the saltwater burning her nostrils, the electrifying feelings coursing through her body as the water seemed to part at her will.