another day another crisis

» another day another crisis «

NORMALLY, THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL WAS SOMETHING EVERY MODERN HIGH SCHOOLER DREADED. It was the official end of summer, meaning that the times of warm sun and waking up late were over. It was a time of panic for students who had yet to finish their assignments, scrambling to type up reports and read through SparkNotes. Teachers had on the fake, first day smiles and acted as if they were on cloud nine, despite knowing they'd be in the worst of moods in about two weeks.

However, Scout Paxton enjoyed the first day of school. She felt as if she was thriving as she walked through the halls. She loved the idea of a fresh start; it was a clean slate for the entire year. People no longer cared about what you wore that one day, or what your score was on that particular chemistry test. She was ready to let go of the pain she had endured the past year.

She remembered that her first day of freshman year had just been filled with pity stares and the meaningless rendition of the words I'm so sorry for your loss. People only saw her as the girl who's parents were murdered, and Scout only saw herself as a lonely girl with some crazy new abilities. An orphan, a freak. It had taken a lot of days to pass before she finally got back to her normal self, only for the man from her nightmares return again, her wounds being ripped back open.

But through it all, Scout had become a warrior, breaking down the walls built around her heart, breaking the shackles that held her back from awakening her great abilities. She had grown into her full potential as the Electric Siren. And now, she was ready to leave the past in the past, to let go of her burdens and focus her mind on bigger and better things.

And so as she started off her sophomore year, she tried to make the best of everyday. She slowly drank her coffee, savoring every sip. She excitedly discussed their summer reading during her English class, filled with a strange amount of love for Paradise Lost. She laughed with her friends and walked confidently through the halls as the days went by, positivity practically radiating from her skin.