XXIII

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE"Frenzy"

"Frenzy"

⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷

"seriously? you can become any animal, anytime?" jason asked, walking up to sam as andy and amelia tried to get out the chainsaw jason stuck in the bar top.

"yeah, as long as i've imprinted on it," sam explained, as jason stood with his arms out and jaw dropped. "that is fuckin' cool, man!"

andy groaned, "yeah, well, as cool as that may be, we still got a maenad to deal with before it takes our whole town out, and we got a vampire in the barn," andy complained, not 100% on board with eric helping them.

"listen," amelia said, looking through the expensive alcohol sam had on the back wall, "you can't deal with it. alright?" she said, making sam nod, "y'all's best bets are to leave while you still can."

jason sighed as amelia poured herself a glass of a random liquid from whatever bottle her hand landed on first, "well, shouldn't we think about gettin' the law involved?" he asked, "i am involved!" andy yelled.

"well, i meant sheriff dearborne, kenya, that other guy, the squirrelly one." he said, andy shrugging, "sheriff's station was wide open and empty. they ain't gonna help."

"then we have got to be the law," jason said, making amelia sigh. she knew where this was going. "guys, i read a book about this, this is armageddon. this is the oral history of the zombie war... we need weapons, lots of em."

"listen, i hate to break it to you, but guns aren't gonna do jack shit to maryann," amelia said, "and you can't shoot nobody else! alright, these are our friends, this is our town!"

jason looked at her like he knew the answer to the world, "well, sometimes you need to destroy somethin' to save it."

they all paused. "that's in the bible," he said, "or the constitution."

immediately after he stopped taking, they all heard a whisper, "she in there?" rustling was heard, and amelia caught sight of colby and lisa outside, running into the woods.

"oh, please, don't let them be all possessed too," she said, and eric shot out of his dead sleep when he felt her worry.

she ran out the side door of merlotte's, "colby? lisa? c'mon out, you guys. no need to be afraid, just come on out so we can see each other."

amelia walked toward the rustling as colby saw her eyes weren't black, he decided to walk to her, "aunt millie!" he said excitedly, and as eric felt her worry turn into relief. he felt okay enough to continue his dead sleep, deciding to send her a quick message before.

"is our mama in there?" colby asked her, her shaking her head, "no, no, not right now." lisa sighed in relief, "good, will you help us hide?" she asked, amelia nodding her head as colby spoke up, "and will you make us lunch?"

"we haven't eaten since the day before yesterday," lisa said, as jason ran up behind amelia, "mills! andy and i are takin' off," he said, him and andy running down the hill behind merlotte's. "where you goin'?" she asked, andy running around jason, "sheriff's office."

jason held up finger guns, "we're gonna arm ourselves. hey, colby, lisa," he said, pointing his fingers at the two of them. amelia shook her head, "jason, no. you're walkin' into somethin' more dangerous than you could even imagine," she explained, but jason just sighed, "mills, i gotta do this."

"well, you're gonna get yourself killed!" she said, "and probably a lot of other people, too, just think this through, use your head for a second!"

she tried reasoning, but jason just kept denying her. andy did try to defend her, but jason only scoffed. he was going to bring up her abilities and how she knows about these supernatural creatures, but colby and lisa were right there. andy didn't want to break his promise to her, and especially eric.

as the boys drove off, amelia took lisa and colby back inside merlotte's, sam waiting for them. after a few minutes, sam cooked them a whole meal while amelia listened to them tell her what happened for the two days everyone in bon temps went batshit crazy.

sam gave them their food, and lisa looked between him and amelia, "what's wrong with our mama?" she asked, and sam sighed, "i'm not sure. but, uh... i think she's sick."

"is she blind?" lisa asked, making amelia's eyes shoot wide open, "well, not necessarily, she's just not thinkin' straight," she explained, feeling absolutely terrible that these kids have to go through all this worry and confusion for their mother. she knew eric felt it through her, too, and she felt terrible for him as well.

"is she gonna die?" lisa asked, colby crushing his french fries. "no, honey, not any time soon," amelia said, holding lisa's hand. sam shifted in his place at the bar, "now listen, has she, uh... has she been sick in front of you a lot?" he asked, lisa shaking her head, "she doesn't seem sick—"

"she seems crazy," colby said, finishing her sentence. "is she crazy?" lisa asked, sam shrugging. "everybody gets a little crazy every now and then."

lisa's nose turned up, "she's always kissin' terry and doin' other gross stuff when her eyes get weird." colby stopped eating, "can we get her a doctor?"

sam stared at the two of them with his mouth open slightly, not sure what he wanted to say. "or someone to make her like she used to be?" lisa asked, looking at amelia.

colby looked at her too, "like a vampire! i bet a vampire would know what to do!"

"wheres vampire eric?" lisa asked, making amelia huff slightly, "he's sleeping. he won't be awake until sundown, but, he's gonna help us."

⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷

when eric finally woke, he, amelia, and sam stood on the porch of sam's trailer. lisa and colby were inside, tucked away in sam's bed, but not after eric assured them their mother would be okay.

"they all good?" sam asked, and eric nodded. "yeah. they made me pinky promise that their mother would be back to normal soon. i even tucked them in," he said, looking at amelia. she chuckled, "didn't know you were such a sucker."

as the three of them started to get ready to head to amelia's house, sam stopped eric when she was locking the back door to merlotte's. "thank you in advance, if there's anything you need me to do for you, know i'll be here."

eric nodded, "i'd do anything for her," he said, "saving her best friend is the least i can do." sam nodded, smiling slightly as eric looked away from him. he liked the guy.

he wouldn't admit that, though.

⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷

AUTHOR'S NOTE

gif from @/iomapacks on tumblr!

roughly 1,300 words