III

CHAPTER THREE"Cold Ground"

CHAPTER THREE
"Cold Ground"

⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷

amelia got the call from sam while she was still at merlotte's, and her playful mood with lafayette was ruined within a second. she felt like her soul left her body, like a piece of adele stackhouse left with her.

"sugar... everythin' alright?" arlene asked cautiously, seeing amelia shaking slightly and holding her cellphone in the kitchen without saying a word. amelia hadn't felt so much hurt in her life, she didn't even feel like this was real. she hung up on sam and stuck her phone back in her purse, "gran's dead."

arlene and lafayette looked at one another, stunned, "millie..." lafayette whispered, walking up to her and wrapping his arms around her tightly. "we are so, so sorry, baby." amelia weakly wrapped her arms around him, everything feeling like a dream. a nightmare. she pulled away, "i need some air."

⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷

amelia sat on the wooden swing that hung on her porch, a blanket wrapped around herself and her phone in her hands. she had been debating on whether or not to call jason, just to let him know. for heavens sake, adele did raise them. for as long as she could remember, that woman taught her how to do absolutely anything. how to recover from heartbreak, all the basic shit moms and dads are supposed to experience with you. she was both of amelia's parents, all by herself.

when amelia got home, she didn't even want to go inside. she didn't want to see what made sookie's knees and hands covered in blood, she just wanted to take her shoes off and sit down.

"hey, cher," sam said, sitting next to her. "how you feelin'?" amelia looked in his direction, but not at him. she didn't feel like actually engaging with people, but she would tolerate talking to them. "i don't even know," she said, blinking a few times to try and process how she was feeling.

"that's a'right, you ain't gotta feel nothin'." sam said gently, wrapping an arm around her shoulders and pulling her into his side. "you know i'm here if you need anythin'," he kissed the top of her head before getting up and walking back inside the house, probably to speak with sookie or the sheriff. she didn't care much.

amelia felt alone, yet she knew she wasn't. she knew she had people to help her, talk to her, but she didn't want their company. she wasn't even sure if she wanted anything, her mind was completely scrambled. this was the first time sam and sookie have seen amelia with all of her guard down, and it infuriated her.

she didn't want to be any more positive, though, she just wanted quiet. hearing bud and andy and mike spencer and his apprentice and sam and sookie all thinking at once made her want to vomit. she would've asked bill for a moment alone with him, but she'd rather meet the true death. that man gave her the ick.