ONE

_________________________________________________

"Oh baby you like lightning in a bottle~!!"

"I can't let you go now that I've got it~!!" 

"I must ask that you to please stop your singing."

"And all I need is to be struck by your electric-"

"Please you, two? I asked nicely." Todoroki said blandly as he turned to look at the two women, his exasperation quite evident on his features. Both (Y/N) and Mina just giggling and continuing their singing.

"(Y/N), Mina, I must insist that you stop your singing! Your deafening Jirou on the other line." Iida said from (Y/N)'s other side, gripping the lowering ramps wired support tightly as the two girls giggling and swaying about caused the whole platform to shake and swing.

"Oh come on Iida, get that damn stick out of your ass already!" (Y/N) smirked from behind her helmet, placing her hands on her hips from the platform above the aggressive rule follower. 

"To be honest with you all," Sero's voice floated through each of their helmets via the intercom connection, "Although Mina's and (Y/N)'s singing is pretty annoying, you are by far the loudest of them both, Iida." 

     Both girls laughed with Sero as Iida muttered something, but it was muffled by the connection faltering as they hit 25 meters below the ocean surface.

     It was a cool Sunday morning. (Y/N) didn't care much about the weather but the picturesque blue sky's twinkled above them all through the still ocean surface. The beams of sunlight shinning through the gentle foam waves, illuminating the bright coral reef around them and creating dancing highlights along the ocean bed, stroking lovingly at the white sand. (Y/N)'s job was not taxing in any weather, but when it was especially beautiful it didn't go unappreciated. This morning's activity commanded a routine patrol along the nursery grounds of the mermaids they were researching.

     Ever since the first sighting of mermaids less than maybe 11 or 12 years ago, their existence had boomed. Due to their collapsing eco-system (caused by humans – not much of a surprise there), they reached out for help, and thankfully ever since then the two species had lived in relative harmony. But with all good things, of course, there were those out there adamant to ruin it. Small populations of people that didn't believe mermaids should be treated as equals slithered out the woodwork. They believed they were no more than animals, stupid fish. Protests arose across the planet with humans adamant their fishy cousins should be abandoned, or treated like aliens or sliced up like food. The black market flourished with these ideologies, selling mermaid meat across the globe.

     Live mer's were traded for whatever purpose the buyer saw fit. It was a cruel, nasty world. Humans always believe they have a born right to be at the top of every chain.

     (Y/N) knew better. She vividly remembers watching the first interactions of mer and humans live on TV, or at least some of it. She was a teenager, but she felt like a kid in a sweetshop for the first time. She had sat herself right in front of the screen, cross-legged.

     There was so much to learn about them, after all, and every day was an experience of wonder for her. Knowledge was the best weapon after all. She had graduated from college to become a marine biologist, she was one of the best, saving endangered species of fish, and cleaning up the ocean. So it was indeed no surprise to her when she was asked to work at UA or the Underwater Alliance.

     She had gone through all the exams and sure some of the physicals she didn't quite pass, but who could blame her? She was good with books not weights. She was excepted either way and quickly packed up her things and moved into the institute's staff quarters. Until she had started working there she had never seen a real mermaid up close, but oh boy was she obsessed when she did. It was like being a kid again. Those hopeless fantasies of befriending a mermaid and those countless hours of re-watching The Little Mermaid all quite came true.