Chapter two: Perimeter Fence.

My training goes well over the next month and I get more and more mobile every day. Jason is happy to have me back and so is Cory, although he is giving me these looks. I know he just worries for me and I try to tell him that everything is fine. I try to tell myself that, too.

I'm on patrol when my walkie scratches and a frantic voice reports sightings of strangers just by the main gate. I call Jason and Cory to me and we rush to get there. The guards have been communicating with this group of strangers and they don't seem to be infected, but they do seem scared and exhausted. And they are wearing masks to cover their true faces. I order the gate to be opened, so we can inspect these people more closely, but we keep our weapons held high. We can't take any chances.

"Put your weapons on the ground and hands where I can see them!" I yell and the group instantly obeys. "Unmask them."

To my great surprise, I see several familiar faces in the group. Some of them I have gone to school with. One is my old friend Peter. He used to hang out with Jason and I once upon a time before he and his parents moved to a different city. I recognize his face easily since he has a very distinctive birthmark on his face.

"Jay?" Peter asks in disbelief. "Is that you?"

Still a little weary, I let my men lower their guns, but order them to stay ready for anything.

Peter keeps his hands raised in the air. His friends all do the same thing. "It's good to see you," he continues, trying to negotiate with me. "You're the leader?" he questions.

"My father's the general. I just lead these men," I reply.

Nodding, Peter grins at me. "Makes sense," he says. "I figured you'd be the boss. Just like old times." His eyes flicker from me to Jason. Jason receives a smile, which he returns warily.

I order my men to stand down and allow Peter and his friends to explain how they've found us. He tells me they have been traveling for a long time and that this area is more or less boney-free. And then he tells me he has heard rumors of this place. That part surprises me.

"I don't want to be rude," Peter says then. "But we were hoping to be let inside. It's been too long since we've had a proper meal and a bath."

I chuckle. "Definitely too long."

He smiles back and we check them again for any signs of infection and they turn in all of their weapons. We do a very thorough body search just to make sure we've found everything. They do everything they're told and hide no weapons from us, so I decide that these people don't pose any immediate threats to us. I give my old friend a warmer welcome and make sure to meet everyone else in the group. Just as I have made it all around, Peter is meeting Cory - and Peter does not know anything about my relationship with Cory yet. He moved to a different city years before we started dating. This will be fun.

"Coriander, is that you?" Peter says, baffled. It's taken him a bit of time to recognize Cory. Of course, Cory has changed a lot over the past decade - but so have I. Cory moves closer to me and we share a look. I can already tell he doesn't like Peter's attitude. The old rivalry between them doesn't seem to be gone despite everything. One of them is easily provoked and the other one is without a doubt the most sarcastic person I know.

"You've grown some!" Peter continues with a smile that's just a little bit taunting.

Cory smiles back despite what Peter just said and it worries me.

"Hi, Peter, I'm so glad to see you again," Cory says, putting on his best fake smile.

I put a hand on Cory's shoulder to make him stop before the situation escalates further. I make him understand that I will handle this from here. He looks at me with an irritated expression but doesn't argue.