Chapter thirteen: Awake.

Cory's POV:

I look out over the remains of the city and hold his hand while he sleeps. I can't believe it's been three weeks already. Three weeks of arguing, waiting, and more waiting. To start with, we were all sure he was lost, but Sadie came up with a brilliant plan and a way to save him. He was in coma for two weeks. I swear I was going out of my mind, arguing harsly with the general every day, until his heartbeat came back, but weakly. There's not a day that I haven't been here because I can't stand to leave him for too long. If anything happens, I want to be here. I always want to be here for him because I know he would do the same for me without hesitating.

Altogether, I must have slept for something like 5 hours the past few days and it's clear to see on my face. I've spent many hours yelling at the general and my dad, because my idiot dad tookthe general's side. Luckily, Elizabeth has been lovely, taking her son's side along with Jason, the guys, and me. I think despite all the things that has been said, General Alden is just scared of losing his son again. Despite everything, he's been here every day, just like me, to see if there's been any progress. I would pray if I still believed in God. If he is there, he hasn't been listening to anything we've said for the past seven years.

The door to the homemade hospital room slowly opens and closes. In comes Jason with a frown on his face and he heads over to sit down next to me. Judging from the dirt and bloodstains on his shirt, he has just been out where the action is, killing off boneys.

"So," he says, squeezing my shoulders. "Any news today?"

A spasm goes through Jay's entire body like it's been happening since he's heartbeat came back.

"No news," I say, disappointed. "Said just to hope."

"Great," Jason mumbles sarcastically. "Can't wait to tell the general. He's been in a good mood today for once."

"Good mood?" I repeat, surprised.

He nods. "Yeah. Finally getting the upper hand against those creepy skeletons. I don't think they can withstand our firepower much longer. They aren't very clever. And it turns out your dad's a pretty good shot."

"Wow." This is huge news. It's great and all if I could find it in me to happy that we're winning. Currently, worry occupies all the space in my head. The doctor does check ups on him again and I watch, more than happy we have a guy like this in camp. I think he used to be highly respected in his profession.

"He's stable, but I can't say when he will wake up. It will most likely take some time since all his energy is focused on healing at the moment. Don't be scared if he can't move around a lot the first few days." 

The doctor shakes my hand before he leaves. Jason stays for a few more minutes until he has to go back out in the fight. He shakes my hand and sends Jay the saddest look before the door closes behind him.

He's been getting a lot skinnier and his cheeks are now flaming red. The first few days, he was cold as ice and almost blue. He looked so dead. I couldn't do anything but stare, wishing it would stop and wishing that he would simply open his eyes and get out of bed, all healed and better. Just like when he turned up out of nowhere. It hasn't boring loving this guy. But it has always been worth it. I don't regret it for a second because no one has ever cared for me more than he has. So he better damn well wake up soon.

I lean in close to him and let my fingers caress his cheeks, temple, and chin and I feel how the fever burns under his skin. 

"You better be holding on in there," I whisper. "When you think about it, this situation is a bit cliché... I almost lost you and then you turn up again and put me through this... it's not fair, Jay. I should yell at you and tell you you're an idiot. You should know your place - and it's here with me, by the way. Please wake up. It's harder out here without you... I promise I'm gonna stick to the memories like I know you would tell me to. I found a song, and it's the one you tried to learn on guitar, but never did. The one we would listen to in the evenings like the pair of f-- Sorry, I know you hate that word. Anyway, I'm just gonna play it for you and stop talking. I love you." 

Trying to ignore the twitching in my eye, I compose myself as much as I can and press play.

When the nightmares come

Keep you awake

Baby close you eyes

I'll take the weight

but I won't speak

I will refrain and be the song

Just be the song

When inner scars

show on your face

and darkness hides

your sense of place

well I won't speak

I will refrain and be the song

Just be the song

Flow down all my mountains

Darlin' fill my valleys

Flow down all my mountains

Darlin' fill my valleys

Flow down all my mountains

Darlin' fill my valleys

And when you run

Far my eyes

Then I will come

in dead of night

but I won't speak

'till morning light

I'll be the song

Just be the song

Flow down all my mountains

Darlin' fill my valleys

Flow down all my mountains

Darlin' fill my valleys

Flow down all my mountains

Darlin' fill my valleys

-----------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: The song is "Be the Song" by the talented Foy Vance - give it a listen, it's worth it :)