Chapter fourteen: Fighter.

UPDATE: This story now has a prequel called "Bleeding Hearts". It's mostly the flashbacks, all together, along with a few new scenes... 

There is also a part two to this story now! Cool, right? You will find it in this same book, starting right after this chapter. 

I also have a new boyxboy story on my profile called "Should I love you" - please check it out, I'd be so grateful if you did!

Thank you for taking the time to let Cory and Jay tell their story :D

- MysteryOfWordsDK

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cory's POV:

For weeks he just lies there, unaware that the entire world around him is changing. The only signs I have that he's still in there, are the small jumps or spasms that go through him. Sadie has done her best for him along with once highly respected doctor, but none of them can say anything specific. They don't know what's going to happen or when. I have no proof that he will ever open his eyes again, but I can't bear to think that he won't. I can't even consider that option. Otherwise, I don't know how to stay sane. I sit with my head in the gutter, when the moment comes.

"Cory? I have to get going now, the general's waiting - but you'll let us know if there are any changes?" Jason says, getting up from his worn out chair to put his jacket on. I simply nod as a response and plan to fall right back into that numbness and stay there for a while.

"Hey..." Jason puts a hand on my shoulder. "Don't drive yourself into the ground, Cory. He's a fighter--" Jason's eyes go wide and he stops mid-sentence and more or less yelps in joy. My boyfriend has finally opened his eyes. They're only half open and he looks confused, but I still feel more relieved than I ever have before.

"Goddamn it Jay!" I whisper and caress his cheek with my hand. I feel how my face is probably contorting into all sorts of grimaces, but I couldn't give less of a damn. 

Jason has a smile wider than Times fucking Square. Jay's face becomes paler and I realize he's about to be sick. I yell at Jason we need to get him to sit up and we manage do it just in time for Jay to bend over the side of the bed and puke black goo all over the floor. It's so bad that it sounds like it's strangling him. He releases a deep groan of pain; the wound on his left side.

"SADIE!" I yell and try to wipe the sweat of Jay's forehead and keep him calm. My tiny friend runs into the room and gasps like she hadn't thought this was going to happen. She, however, knows what to do next. Setting Jay up to get more blood, she checks him and I wait quietly and let Jay squeeze my hand tight when he feels pain.

"He's gonna need more after this, he's still very weak," Sadie explains and checks him again. He's sitting up against the bed, eyes closed in agony. "We need to let him do this before we try to to talk to him. He needs time to get through the transfusions."

I nod and watch Jay as he sits there, half asleep, except for when he frowns or makes a face. I'm not entirely sure he knows what is going on around him. He's pale and very cold to the touch and pukes again, this time in a bucket we found for him. After he pukes a few more times and gets more blood and liquid in his system, he begins to look better. Color returns to his cheeks plus his breathing becomes less troubled. Jay opens his eyes with a deep sigh as his eyes land on me. He doesn't speak. Instead, he attempts to smile.

"Hey, " I tell him. "I'm so glad you're back." I swallow thickly and put his hands to my lips. I kiss them and and let Jason have a moment with Jay. He tells Jay a joke which lightens the mood before heading off to find the Aldens. Left with Jay are just Sadie and I. I don't understand why Sadie is biting her nails. It leads me to the conclusion there's something she's not telling me. I frown at her and she looks indecisive. Jay is looking at me in a way that tells me he understands. I know this look means he wants me to ask her.