Chapter three: What If.

On our way inside headquarters, we're met with smiles and salutes. You'd almost think I was the general now the way people are acting when they see me. A few people are still a bit scared of me and of any other returned, but most of them seem to have established that I'm not going to eat them. It's weird that so many know my name now. And they know Cory's too. They all know who we are. I guess we're the closest thing our world has to celebrities now as odd as that sounds.

When we enter headquarters, my dad meets us straight away. He sends Cory and Jason away, telling them to go to the western part of the perimeter fence. It's the weakest point and we always patrol that part twice as often as anywhere else. I can see Cory isn't happy with the idea of leaving, but he keeps his mouth shut, and follows Jason as ordered.

Left in the room are my dad, myself, and Isaac. He must have something to do with whatever it is my dad wants to tell me. He takes us further inside, to the situation room, where my mother pats my back as she walks past us, busy with something else.

My dad doesn't waste any time and gets straight to the point.

"I have reason to believe these rebels are operating from the rehabilitation center," he reveals and runs his finger over the map we have had drawn up of camp. "I have asked Isaac to monitor the situation in the streets, but I need another inside man in the center."

I nod. "What do you need me to do exactly?"

Then he explains. The plan is quite simple. I'm going to be sent to the rehabilitation center and I have to try and mingle to see if I can learn anything of interest. I'm the obvious candidate since I am the only returned in my dad's circle of command. For now. It's a big responsibility and I agree on the spot and listen to Isaac's briefing on living conditions in the center. I know the basics, but Isaac gives me more details. Lately, he has been indispensable to my dad because he is a master in gaining information around the streets of our camp. So in other words, he is good at sticking his nose where it doesn't belong. It's a very good set of survival skills in this world. I have nothing but respect for Isaac, especially for all his help several months ago with convincing my dad that he shouldn't kill me, but listen instead. Isaac is a small guy, who is not only good at gathering information, he also knows how to blend in and not get seen around the streets. He has one of those innocent faces, too, which makes him look several years younger than he actually is. The perfect little spy. You wouldn't suspect him.

Apparently, I'm due to arrive at the rehabilitation center in a couple of days' time, my dad informs me. Of course, I'll have to lose the uniform while I'm there. Otherwise, it might be a little difficult to get anyone in there to trust me with any information. It's gonna be strange to wear civillian clothes since I almost always wear my uniform. And maybe, just maybe, I'm a little concerned about going to the rehabilitation center. The people there are still in treatment and in various stages of returning to life. I don't like being confronted with that. It's enough that I have to face it every morning when I look in the mirror by our bed.

CORY'S POV:

I hate being blocked out from the conversation between Jay and General Alden. I want to know what it's about, but I know better than to argue with the General. If possible, he's more stubborn than Jay. It definitely runs in the family. I don't know why Jay insists we can trust Peter and his friends. I think their entire arrival seems suspicious and it bugs me that I seem to be the only one who thinks so.

I head out on the ordered control run with Jason, which is basically just a ride up and down the fence to check everything is in order at the western bit. I drive and Jason sits next to me, his gun in hand. He fumbles with it, not being his usual alert self when patrolling.