Chapter six: New Life.

JAY'S POV:

I takes me long time to wake up the next day. It's almost night time when I wake up. My head is hurting and I slowly, very slowly, sit up and try to remember why I'm feeling this way. It's stupid because I'm supposed to start my mission at the rehabilitation center today and instead I'm lying here like some teenager with a bad hangover.

Cory limps over and sits on the bed next to me, biting his lip. "How do you feel?" he asks me.

"Great," I answer dryly and he gives me a look.

"Honestly," Cory says. "I thought it would just be a bit of fun."

"Yeah, well, it wasn't," I snap and it comes out a little sharper than I mean it to.

Cory's eyes narrow. "It's not like I wanted this to happen, Jay! It's the first time anyone's been this close to assassinating you!"

It takes a few minutes for Cory to explain what happened last night and what Sadie told him and I just groan. To me, it's obvious what the reason behind this is. It isn't the first time someone has tried to kill me. That seems to happen at a regular interval these days.

"Maybe I should have a little talk with Marc. He and his friends are definitely behind this."

"What?" Cory says. "You can't be serious. They wouldn't dare to do something like that."

I raise an eyebrow. Usually, Cory is the suspicious one of us. He certainly was with Peter and the group of people he came here with.

"Cory, they're bad influence," I argue. " They have to know something."

"Oh really? You don't think Peter and his 'friends' are a bad influence? Michael tried to shoot you, I don't you if you've forgotten about that all of a sudden, because I haven't!"

"You are not going to see Marc again!" I insist.

Cory's eyes are hard. "Is that an order? Or do I actually get a say in this?"

"No. You have to stay away from them," I say and get to my feet. I don't feel great but I have a mind to get a hold of Cory's new 'friends'.

I take Jason and a few other recruits and head to the bar where Marc and his friends are sitting once again. Oh, how predictable. Cory has also limped his way here, too, despite our argument. I just let him as long as he stays in the background.

We surround the table, so Marc and his friends can't leave. They all look slightly rattled, except for one guy who just looks mad. It's the same guy Marc partnered with last night for beer pong.

"Okay. We need to know who poisoned my drink last night and why you would chose to steal from the rehabilitation center, from the very people trying to help you. Why would you do that?"

Marc turns to me, his face full of shock. "What are you talking about? Your drink was spiked?" He sounds annoyingly surprised, which is not at all the reaction I was hoping for.

"Yes, unfortunately," I reply. "So just admit it. That way we can deal with this in a more civilized way."

Marc looks around the table and his eyes land on the guy who is glaring at me. Jason also has an extra eye on him.

"Don?" Marc asks.

'Don' gets up and doesn't seem to find us intimidating. He holds his arms up in surrender and Jason makes to take his hands. But Don is not about to play nice and whips around, punching Jason in the face before fleeing from us. My guys are in pursuit. I curse under my breath and see to Jason, who's nose is bleeding and he seems a bit confused. It isn't like him to get distracted like that. Normally, Jason has quick reflexes. I make a mental note to ask him about it.