Chapter eight: Wrong.

I lie right in the middle of my cage, staring up at the ceiling. It's old and rusty, but not enough to give in and fall down in my face. Its life hasn't ended yet. It makes me wonder what kind of life it is I long for. Can you miss a life you don't know for certain is yours? I understand what Cory meant when he said we all have bad days. I don't remember ever feeling so empty as I do right now.

Cory still refuses to look at me. He orders small groups of his men out to do rounds, searching for whatever it is they are looking for. I don't remember anymore. I just wish he would look at me instead of ignoring me.

It continues over the next couple of days. Cory hands out orders and otherwise eats his food in silence. It make it a point to stare at him as much as I can. He has to look at me at some point. We'll se who's more stubborn. So far there is no winner, but I'm not giving up yet.

There is another set of eyes staring at me sometimes. It's Jason. He follows Cory's orders, but every time he tries to talk to Cory, Cory waves him away. I guess I'm not the only one being ignored here. I can't quite make out the expression on Jason's face. Maybe it's exhaustion. Maybe it's worry. As far as I can tell, he used to be the guy everybody liked or looked up to at the very least. Maybe this life is solitary for him too.

There is cold despair running through my veins. It's the strongest I've ever felt. It's like I am a stranger in my own skin. I have no strength to get up. I can't move. I can't do anything. Not even when Sadie comes to my cage at nighttime. She looks sorry. Like she can tell that something is happening to me. The syringe is there again. I notice this time that there is some kind of dark liquid in it. She looks around to see if there's anyone watching. There isn't. Everyone else is sleeping.

I can feel it when the needle pushes through my skin and into my vein. My eyes widen and Sadie hushes me by putting a finger to her mouth. Lucky for her, I can't say anything even if I wanted to. I can only stay where I am, lying on the floor with the world spinning above me, faster and faster. I begin to feel the tremors sneaking up on me again and Sadie's figure retreats, putting away all evidence of her actions.

...

"Cory!" I'm almost certain he's heard me every single time I've yelled his name. He's bound to, but he still won't turn around and answer me. He's still pissed at me, but I am not giving up on him.

"Cory!!"I repeat, gaining the attention of everyone around. Yelling up the school stadium has never been a problem for me.

This is when he finally decides to show me his face. His eyes are red and hard as he waits for me to say something. He's tapping his foot in a demanding sort of way and isn't about to deal with any of my bullshit. I am definitely gonna have to work for this.

"What do you want, James?" he says like he wants to give up on me.

I'm not gonna let him. "I wanna talk," I answer as he crosses his arms, doing everything in his power to tell me to piss off without words. He even scoffs at me.

"Cor, I mean it," I continue. "I know I've been a real douchebag to you and I'm sorry! But you know what's coming! We all have to do something about it! I can't deny how important that is! But you should know what you mean to me as well! Especially, after all the time we spent together. All these pricks and blondes don't matter, it's not any of their business, but they'll always gossip anyway. I don't care if they do. I care about you and I really mean that. Cory, I know I'm a fucking idiot! You knew that from the start and I only proved it. I guess I can't change. But I still love you and I hope that counts for something."

He looks at me in despair, but his harsh attitude is fading away. "You just ruined you reputation," he tells me like it isn't obvious. I still don't care.