Chapter twelve: Emergency.

JAY'S POV:

As soon as I'm taken to my daily check up, I ask after Isaac and he shows up just before I have to go back to the cage. I hand him the card, telling him everything and ask him to show my dad. He nods, telling me to be careful and that I am getting out soon. Like I'm in prison. I probably felt that way at first, but it's different now. I've seen how much work is done at the center to help anyone and everyone, including me. I understand better what it why Sadie is overworking herself to make sure this place runs as smoothly as possible. I think she still feels bad about what she did to me despite the talk we had some months ago. She knows I understand. I have forgiven her a long time ago.

When the day of our release comes up, Samir calls it our 'prison break' – despite there being no prison and no escape of any kind since we are being allowed to leave. I watch Samir, happy and jittery like a kid, excited to see what the rest of camp is like.

I take a last look around the cage and find that the look of the other returned here doesn't repel me as much as they used to. There is an understanding between us now. I'm always going to feel some discomfort because no matter what I do, I can't erase my past. I can't erase what I've done. But I know I'll never regret my decision to save Cory's life. Like Samir has been telling me, I did for love as silly as that sounds. Everything I've done has come from that same feeling. It's the reason I made it back in the first place. I'm not going to let any dark thoughts, nightmares, or otherwise win over me, not now when I've come this far. Although, I've come close to losing.

It makes me happy to know that the people here are doing the best they can for the returned coming through the center. But I also know it's time for some changes. There is no reason to keep the returned so secluded from the rest of camp when they are properly medicated like Samir was the day I met him. And it's not only him. Once you make the decision that you want to live, you won't be a danger to any living around you. I know that. We need to stop this becoming a full-on segregation due to fear. We don't want history to repeat itself in such an ugly way.

Once we're outside the gates, Samir looks lost. He watches people walk past him with a mix of curiosity and concern, biting his lip and fiddling with his worn jacket. He doesn't have any other possessions than his clothes and his small stack of Pokémon cards. I think of the moment I came back; all I had was my dog tag and my mangled uniform.

"Will you come with me? I'll give you a tour," I suggest. "Maybe I can help you out this time. Like you've been helping me out while we've been 'in prison'."

The last part is a joke and a grin spreads on Samir's skinny face, exposing his near-perfect teeth. Not all returned are that lucky.

"Lead the way, my friend, if you know where to go," he muses and follows after me.

Samir's ever joyful personality shows in the way he takes in camp and how it works. Everything fascinates him and he marvels at the bed I let him sleep in. It's just a mattress that we pull upstairs in the room I used to share with Cory... which is now just my room. So I'm glad to be sharing it with Samir. That way the silence up here won't be so crushing.

I give Samir a couple of my shirts and a couple of my boots. They're a size too small, but he thanks me all the same, looking at them as if they were new and shiny things just bought in a shopping mall. Which of course we don't have anymore.

My walkie makes a scratchy noise.

I walk over and ask if someone's there. It turns out to be Isaac, asking me where I am. I tell him I'm at the house and he tells me to come outside and he'll be there as quick as he can.

Samir and I share a look and we head downstairs, making it onto the porch when Isaac parks the vehicle he's driving today. His expression is tense. More than usual.