Epilogue: Come With Me.

JAY'S POV:

It's a couple of months into my new role as general and I've never been so busy in my life. I still don't sleep as much as I should and I still have to fight a little extra some days, but I can get out of bed, feeling like I can make a difference.

When I finally have a moment to sit down and enjoy a moment of silence, I'm sitting near the perimeter fence. Cory finds me sitting there, staring out into the distance, watching the sunset. Smiling, he reaches his hand out to me, pulling me to my feet. I notice that his hair has been combed thoroughly. He is also wearing his uniform, which is suspiciously clean. I frown.

"Come with me," he says.

"Where to?" I ask and my confusion isn't lessened when he takes me in the opposite direction of the house.

"You'll see," is all he says and pulls me to a fire escape, telling me to climb up behind him. I follow him up, still skeptic as hell. 

"Cory..." I say and catch his eye. 

He just smiles. "Trust me," he asks of me.

He makes it to the roof. I'm a bit slower because of my condition. When I make it up there, I frown. All of our friends are there, waiting for us; Jason is there with his new daughter Alma and his girlfriend Elena. My mother is there, Isaac, Samir, and many more are there, too. There is an aisle of space in the middle of it all and at the far end, Mr. McDean is waiting for us. There's a small box in his hand. The sight of this something to me and I have to shallow hard to keep it together.

Cory is next to me. He squeezes my hand.

"Is this your idea?" I ask him, quietly.

He smirks. "Might be," he replies and begins to pull me forward. "Come on, Mr. quarterback. Let's finally do this."

He takes me up the aisle, only looking forward as I look at him. I just can't take my eyes off of this crazy, wonderful man. He has managed to gather, well, everyone we love, and even a celebrant. He steps up next to Mr. McDean. It turns out it's Pastor Edwards, an elderly gentleman. I'm not sure if he's actually a pastor or not, but he has been a real savior to everyone, religious or not.  As we reach him, Jason puts a flower in my pocket, winking at me. Then he spins me round to face Cory again. Cory takes my hands and I still cannot comprehend what is happening. When we are asked to say our vows, Cory goes first.

"You probably didn't see this coming," he begins, making everybody chuckle. "But I wanted to surprise you. James, you are the best thing that has happened to me. We met in high school, we were the classic enemies... well, until you simply couldn't resist my charms any longer."

There's laughing all around us.

"... I'm glad, though. Because who knows where we would be today if things had gone any differently? All I want to say is that I love you. I've promised you before that you'll never get rid of me and I intend to keep that promise. Forever. No matter what life throws at us. I love you."

A tear rolls down his cheek and I feel myself getting emotional. It's my turn to talk, but I have to wait several seconds before any sound comes out of my mouth. Jason's baby girl coos in her father's arms.

"Uh," I begin, suddenly feeling the effects of many eyes watching me. "I don't know how to follow a speech like that. But I'll promise you this; No matter what, I'll come back to you. No matter how much of an idiot I can be, I'll always be your idiot. I love you too, Cory. So much."

From then on, even Jason has to fight to keep his cool. I manage to answer "I do" at the right time, but otherwise I'm pretty much useless. After Cory says those sacred words, Mr. McDean hands him the box of rings. I notice the ring on his own finger has gone. The look in Cory's eyes is indescribable. In reply, his father pats his back a little and have us to put the rings on each other. I'm the first one to do so. I take the ring that was his father's and put it on Cory's finger. Then Cory puts the other on mine. I recognize it quickly. It's my father's. I catch my mother's eye and she nods at me. The ring almost fits. 

The rings Cory and I receive don't match at all, but it fits the situation perfectly. Like they mirror Cory and I, symbolizing our journey through life together. Despite the chaos of our world, despite my death and return to life, despite the challenges we've gone through, we've made it here today. Who would have thought? I for one could not have imagined this. Especially not when I was in high school. I could not have imagined just how much my life would change simply because of this guy; Cory McDean. He's the proof that love can always win. No matter what. It is to him I make the vow to keep fighting. Every single day.

____________________________________________________

Okay, that's really it guys! 

Thanks for being patient with me, I know I've been a little slow to update. But I didn't want to rush the story. It needed to feel right.

I really hoped you enjoyed Bloodhearts. I'd love to know what you think, so if you wanna leave me a comment, I'll be one happy writer :)

I also have a new boyxboy story on my profil called "Should I love you?" - I hope you'll check it out. It means a lot to me.

Always be who you are :)

 - MysteryOfWordsDK