Chapter seven: A Message.

JAY'S POV:

I stay out late the next couple of days. Cory and I haven't really talked since we made up because we have both been busy since there's been a lot of work to do. My dad still doesn't want to acknowledge how serious the threat of these rebels really is and he seems to think that by finding Don, we can stop all of them. I don't believe it's going to be that easy.

I spend my next free night with Jason and Peter. Jason is coaching the kids in football while Peter and I help out a little and watch. I watch Jason with the kids, thinking how weird it is that he's going to be a father soon. Elena is already pretty far along. It won't be more than a few months before she's due. Apparently, she hid her pregnancy for as long as she could. She and Jason argued about it. She said she was afraid she would lose it and didn't want to get his hopes up. Now, he has forgiven her for that and they both seem excited and happy about the prospect of becoming parents. I'm happy for them, too. But I don't think it will ever be me. I'm fine with that, too. It's not because I'm gay, but I just don't want children. I've never asked Cory how he feels about it, but our lives have been full of other and more pressing things up until now. 

When we get tired of listen to all of Jason's worries about fatherhood, Peter reveals to me he's also found a girl.

"We haven't been together all that long," he admits and can't stop the smile from spreading on his face. "But we can talk about almost anything. It's great. She's really great."

I squeeze his shoulder. "I'm glad to hear that."

"By the way, I heard Jason gave you a hard time about last night. What happened?" Peter asks me curiously.

I fight the urge to grimace. "You've probably heard what happened to me at the bar, right? Cory and I have been budding heads about it. He doesn't think my problems have anything to do with my being poisoned. Jason agrees. They think I need to talk about things - and that's the last thing I want to do."

Peter heaves a breath and glances at me. "But you don't look that bad," he offers, smirking. "Are you not making progress everyday like you said? Physically, at least?"

I don't meet his eyes and just stare at the kids laughing and chasing Jason who has the football under his arm. I don't feel like telling Peter everything.

"Some progress," I answer.

"Also..." Peter begins like there's something he really wants to tell me although he hesitates. "Why was Cory hanging out at the bar, anyway? Isn't it mostly for weirdos?"

Peter really knows how to hit the nail on the head.

"I don't know," I say honestly and don't bother to hide my irritation. I know Cory hasn't been back since Don tried to poison me, but I'm not going to bring that incident or Marc up again any time soon. I don't want to start another argument. Cory and I are barely keeping the peace as it is.

"I'm here if you ever need to talk," Peter promises.

Before I can thank him, my eyes narrow, seeing a figure coming running towards us. It's Isaac. His eyes are wide and he orders me to come along instantly. Peter tries to ask what is wrong, but Isaac tells him he isn't allowed to say. Jason has to stay with the kids and I follow Isaac to a vehicle and we drive off. I try to get him to talk several times, but Isaac refuses to say anything even to me.

"It's better if you just see it," Isaac explains and takes me home of all places. The road is sealed off and a bad feeling rises in my stomach. At first, I think someone I love is hurt, but seeing both of my parents and Cory standing in front of the house, makes me less worried. Cory is talking to my mother and he glances at me with a frown. My dad comes over and stops me before I can go to Cory.