29: Diner

"Oh no," I groggily murmured as I arose from my three hour nap.

Somehow, my wrist looked worse than it had before. The bruise was now dark and inflamed, and anyone close enough could see the fingernail indents engraved into my skin. I tenderly poked the injury, though quickly regretted it once I felt scathing pain.

My hazel eyes flickered over to the alarm clock on my bedside table. I was supposed to arrive at the diner about half an hour ago, though how could I possibly face my friends and risk them noticing my wrist?

I thoughtfully bit my lip and glanced at the beige, oversized hoodie hung up in my closet. Perhaps I could use that to conceal the horrendous bruise? The plan seemed foolproof enough, so I threw on the hoodie and ran downstairs.

"Where are you going?" Jo asked from the living room. She paused the housewives reality show she'd been watching to hear my response.

"Papa's Diner," I hollered while slipping on the first pair of sneakers I saw. "Try not to miss me!"

I was already out of the door before she could reply. By the time I'd reached the diner, another fifteen minutes had gone by. Nonetheless, I instantly noticed my friends seated in the corner of the retro restaurant.

I walked past the checkered walls, narrowly missing a waiter who roller skated past me.

"Sorry!" I squealed.

My friends recognized the sound of my voice and simultaneously looked up. Excited greetings were thrown my way.

"Ro!"

"Hey, Rose!"

"Flower."

"Hey guys, sorry I'm late," I scooched into the red booth to sit next to Romano, while tucking my wild hair behind my ears.

"Is that my hoodie?" Romano peered at me with suspicion.

"Maybe," I shrugged. "Must be why it's so big."

He laughed and nudged my shoulder. From across the table, Antonio stared at us with a small frown.

"I already ordered your favorite," Lily pulled me out of my thoughts. "Strawberry milkshake with–"

"A double cheeseburger," Tabitha finished, "which Benny took a bite out of."

I gave Benny an accusatory stare, to which he merely shrugged. "Sorry. I thought you weren't coming."

"You don't look sorry."

"Because I'm not," he said.

I gaped at him while the rest of the group laughed.

"You know what? It's fine," I grinned. "You are my brother, after all."

Benny immediately scowled. "Step-brother. And they're not married yet."

"Who's not married?" Romano nosily inquired.

"Jo and Bob," I said.

"They're dating?"

"Mhm."

"What?" He was absolutely baffled. "How come you didn't tell us?"

"She did. Just not you," Antonio snorted at his cousin's misfortune.

I kicked Antonio in the shin and he winced before glaring at me.

"Sorry, it just never got brought up." I sheepishly glanced at Romano while sipping on my milkshake.

He pouted. "Alright, but I expect front row seats at the wedding."

"Who says you'll be invited?" Antonio asked.