two

2|the mark

Selene ignored the two girls as she wandered through the busy corridors, trying to get to the library.

"Selene!" Molly whined, grabbing her arm and pulling her to the side so they could properly talk.

"So, why was Regulus Black leaving your compartment?" Lily interviewed her with a stern look.

"He was hiding from his cousin." Selene answered with a sigh, shaking off the ginger's hand and continuing going to the library for her free period. "Now, can I please go study."

"Fine." The two left her, both agreeing to stop off at their dorm room before lunch.

"Watch it, blood traitor." Severus Snape snapped at her as she accidently bumped his shoulder.

"Apologies." Selene mumbled, not wanting to start a fight. She glanced up, catching eye contact with Regulus as he followed behind the blind blood status Slytherin's.

She breathed out peacefully as she finally made it to the library, greeting the librarian before she sat down at a far table. Selene was halfway through her essay when a large book was dropped on the table in front of her.

"All I want is silence." Selene groaned, looking up at Regulus who sat across from her quietly.

"Sorry." He apologised briefly before flicking through his book and making notes.

She leaned on her hand, watching the boy work curiously. The sun shined from behind her, lighting up his face. She took this moment to admire his features, wondering how all the Black's were so attractive.

"Staring is rude, Fray." Regulus glanced at her, her face flushing red with embarrassment. "Get to work."

"This essay is easy." Selene waved off, boredly continuing to write her essay for 'Defense Against The Dark Arts'.

"How are you so smart?" He breathed out, chuckling at her bored expression.

"Family blood." She shrugged, finishing off the final paragraph. "And plenty of studying. Which you should be doing."

"It's easy." His eyes looked back at the pages of the book, scanning over every word and sketch.

"You're talking to me again." She mused, watching him again as he studied. "Was my company on the train just that amazing?"

"Can I see?" He reached across the table with an open hand, waiting for her answer.

Her breath caught in her throat as she noticed the familiar mark peeking out from under his white shirt. She grabbed his arm, pulling his sleeve up and gasping at the black mark.

"I thought you were different." Selene spat at him, standing up and collecting her work. "I actually thought that although you followed your families stupid traditions, you were smart enough to realise that your parents are mindless followers of a great evil."

"Fray!" Regulus tried to stop her but she rushed past him, ignoring his frustrated whispers.

"Selene?" Remus grabbed the distraught girls wrist, pulling her into the hidden row of book cases where the other Marauders hid. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." Selene shook her head, not wanting to talk about it.

"Did Regulus do this?" Sirius pushed forwards, grabbing her shoulders and glaring at his younger brother through the book cases.

"No, he just wanted help." She sighed, not noticing the tears on her cheeks until Sirius wiped them away. "It's nothing, I just remembered the anniversary is soon."

"Sorry." Peter smiled sadly at her as Sirius gave her a small hug, rubbing her back.

"Just remember, little sis." Sirius stated seriously. "If any boy breaks your heart, you tell me."

"I know."

"You tell all of us." James added, a frown on his lips as he watched the heart broken girl he treated like a younger sister.

"Thank you." Selene grinned, fixing her hair. "You boys always cheer me up by just being near."

"It's what we do best." Remus patted her head before she waved good bye, leaving the boys to their pranks.

She felt bad for lying to her close friends but knew it was easier than what they would do to Regulus if they found out.

"Fray?" Selene glanced up at the sound of her name as she entered the Hufflepuff common room. "Black dropped this off for you."

"Thank you, Macmillan." She said gratefully, noticing her essay in his hand. "Did he say anything?"

"No." The older boy nodded his farewell and left her to rejoin his friends.

Selene smiled at her roommates as she entered their shared dorm, agreeing to joining them for lunch as she filed away her work. She fixed her robes and followed them to the Great Hall, her stomach reminding her that she had only a small breakfast.