twenty four

24|family

Selene hummed her mother's old lullaby, rocking her daughter to sleep. The rain sliced through the air, heavily hitting the glass windows. She worried the terrible weather would awaken the sleeping baby.

A loud knock startling her as she placed the baby in the cot. Her brows furrowed as she questioned who was at her door, especially so late at night.

"Hush, my sweet child." She kissed the babies head lovingly. "Mummy will be back soon."

Selene rushed down the stairs, curious as to the urgency of the knocks. She paused in her steps as she spotted Dumbledore and Hagrid in the doorway.

"What happened?" She glanced between the two men before noticing the baby in Hagrids arms. "Is that Harry?"

"Sirius Black betrayed The Order." Hagrid stated grimly, avoiding her sad eyes. "James and Lily Potter are dead."

"You're lying." Her hand went to her mouth, trying to silence her cries as she fell to the floor.

"I want Harry to experience the muggle life until he is ready for the wizarding world." Dumbledore explained his plan to her. "I was originally going to send him to his Aunt's, Lily's sister, but was adviced you were a more suitable choice."

"How could this have happened?" Selene slowly stood up, taking the baby from Hagrid and holding him close.

"I will inform you of everything once you come back from maternity leave." The older man nodded his head at the distraught woman. "We shall take our leave."

She sighed, checking over the baby in her arms. "I always did want twins but I will always remind you who your parents are. They were good people who loved you more than anything."

Selene wandered up the stairs to her daughter's room, waving her hand to make a second cot appear. She placed Harry down, humming as she stroked his hair.

Once the two children were asleep, she slipped out the room. Tired and emotionally exhausted.

"Sirius would never betray James." Selene mumbled to herself sadly, staring at the wall blankly as she lay alone in her large bed. "I've known Sirius for most of my life, he would never do such a thing. He was protective over the boy who gave him a home after he was kicked out."

~•~

Five years later

Selene sat cross legged on the floor, filming Adelia and Harry as they opened Christmas presents. Remus sat beside the children, excitedly helping them open presents and set them up.

"Mummy!" Addie ran over, sitting on her lap cheerfully. "This present is for you from Harry and me."

"Oh, thank you my little pumpkins." She quickly opened the present from the two impatient children. "How did you two know I want this book?"

"Uncle Remy said you liked books when we were Christmas shopping." Harry beamed, showing off his missing teeth.

"You two are perfect." She kissed both their foreheads before gesturing for them to keep opening presents. "You know me too well." She glanced at her best friend. He was the only one who knew her secret, supporting her as much as he could.

"We spent six years together at school, it's hard to forget." Remus chuckled and sipped at his hot chocolate.

"Shall I start making breakfast?" Selene chuckled, standing up at the three eager nods she received.

She moved to the kitchen, using magic to help her make pancakes and croissants. She placed bowls of fruit and fresh orange juice on the table.

"Breakfast time." Selene moved everything to the table before helping the two children on to their chairs.

After breakfast and the children had played with their toys, Selene dressed the two children for Christmas dinner.

"You need to sit down before you collapse." Remus leaned against the counter beside her as she watched the children play with their new toys.

"I can't settle down." She sighed, leaning her head on his shoulder. "I miss him. I wish he was here. I wish everyone was here."

"It's just you and I now." He nudged her gently.

"And Molly." Selene added with a heavy sigh. "I haven't spoke to her in years."

"She has quite the litter now."

"That doesn't surprise me." She laughed, her eyes glistening with tears as she watched her children. "I want another one."

"You're lucky you have one." Remus reminded her. "And Harry, of course."

"I am lucky." Selene pursed her lips in thought, glancing up at the man beside her. "How about you and I have a baby?"

"What?"

"You heard me, Wolfie."