twenty three

23|the end

Selene smiled down at the small baby in her arms, stroking his soft cheek as he giggled up at her.

"I want one." She whined to the tired ginger mother, lying through her teeth. She had found out she was pregnant three months ago and large jumpers quickly became her best friend when she was around her friends.

"You will meet a nice guy one day." Lily shrugged, smiling at her husband as he and the rest of the Marauders entered the cosy home. "What about Sirius?"

"Reminds me of Regulus." Selene shook her head and smiled to herself at Sirius's smirk.

"Remus?"

"We would be so smart we would be arguing too much." She continued before pausing. "Oh, I almost forgot." Selene threw a small glass vial at the werewolf. "Fresh wolfsbane."

"You're the best." Remus kissed the top of her head before sitting beside her, looking over Harry who was falling asleep in her arms.

"I know." Selene winked at him. "Which is why I am not dating any of my best friends. I don't think I can love again. I might just adopt."

"You will always be the best aunt." Lily sent her an exhausted smile. "Who needs men?"

"Amen." The two women chuckled before Selene gave the mother her baby back.

"How have you been?" James asked the woman as he sat down. "I mean, you've graduated and are working at Hogwarts which is amazing."

"I've been working under Professor Sprout and have learned far more interesting facts that we didn't learn during our studies." Selene rambled, a large smile on her lips as she spoke. "I am really loving my job."

"I am so happy to hear you're happy." Lily eyed her off suspiciously, noticing the glow around the younger woman. The same glow that she once mirrored when pregnant with Harry.

"I should head home." She stated after a quiet pause, smiling at the large group of friends. "It was so lovely seeing you all again before the school term starts. Thank you for letting me hold Harry."

"You're welcome whenever you want." James patted her shoulder before she stepped out into the street, appearing back into her living room where Regulus greeted her with a book in his hands.

"Have fun?" He mused, smiling to himself as she crawled on to his lap, cuddling into his chest.

"I want a baby." Selene hummed, kissing his cheek lazily.

"You have a baby." Regulus chuckled at her comment, his hand slipping down to her stomach.

Their peaceful moment was disrupted by a loud knock on the door. Selene moved to the kitchen, allowing Regulus to answer the door.

Her brown eyes narrowed as she saw the old man in her doorway, his lips in a tight frown as he spoke to Regulus, the two men in a silent conversation.

She could see her husband's brows furrow with frustration as he sighed, tugging at his long locks. They both paused, glancing at her as she stood frozen in the kitchen.

"My moon." Regulus cupped her cheek, a distant look on his face as he stared down at her. "Now is the time to put the rest of our plan into action."

"Reg, you can't." Selene quickly stopped him, her face dropping as she realised why Dumbledore stood in her doorway. "You have a family now, you're not some pawn anymore."

"I know." He kissed her forehead lovingly. "Which is why I must do this. For my family."

"It's not safe." Tears gathered in the corners of her eyes as she embraced him one last time. "Please, Regulus."

"I love you, Selene." Regulus kissed her salty lips, reminding her how much he loves her.

"I love you." She cried as he stroked her stomach, hesitating before following Dumbledore out the house.

Selene sat at the window all night, her head rested on the cold glass as she waited for his return. Her heart broke as she watched her husband stumble through the fireplace, his clothes stained with blood.

"Regulus!" She caught him as he fell, lowering him to the ground. Her eyes scanned over his body, noticing it littered with wounds.

"I'm sorry." His voice was raspy as he lifted a bloody hand, cupping her cheek. "I failed you."

"No, no. You're okay." Selene rambled, her heart racing as salty tears ran down her cheeks. "Please, you're okay."

"I love you." Her breath got caught in her throat as his went limp against her chest, his hand slipping off her face.

"Ms. Fray." Dumbledore announced his presence as he apparated into the room, his eyes moving to the pair on the floor.

"Get out my house!" She screamed at the older man, her face contorted with pain. "This is all your fault! He was twenty. He finally had a life and you took that away! You use children as pawns because you are a coward."

"Ms. Fray-"

"Get out!"