eight

8|christmas holidays

The Christmas holidays had come around quickly, the small group of friends all stood at the train station waiting for the Hogwarts Express.

They had ended up planning to all stay at Selene's home in the countryside, this being their last Christmas together as everyone but Selene graduatated this academic year.

"Do we need to get a tree?" Peter asked curiously, glancing at the silent girl. "And decorations?"

"I did have a childhood." Selene chuckled at his hesitation. "But we'll need a tree and food. There is a forest on my doorstep and a small store in the village an hour's walk from my house."

"An hour?" James gasped dramatically, holding Lily who just chuckled at her boyfriend. The two girls had both visited Selene's house before, both knowing how secluded the house was from everything.

"It's a muggle village." She stated, leading everyone on the train. This time the whole group fit into one compartment, Arthur joining them.

Selene sat on Sirius's lap, reading her book out loud for him as he leaned his head on her shoulder, resting his eyes.

"Ah, sorry." Regulus apologised as he opened the door, noticing Selene on his brothers lap. "I just wanted to speak to Fray."

"Sirius, let me go." She slapped the boys hands as he tried to stop her from leaving, dumping the book in his lap as she followed the younger Black out the compartment, shutting the door behind her.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to drag you away from all your friends." He apologised awkwardly, rubbing his neck nervously. He avoided her stare, finding interest in his shoes.

"It's okay, it was getting suffocating in there anyway." Selene chuckled, walking with him down train. "So, what can I help you with?"

"Here." Regulus passed her a chocolate frog. "I know how much you love chocolate."

"You're the best!"

"I also got you a small Christmas present." He hesitantly gave her a small box, watching as he slowly removed the ribbon.

"A bunny." She beamed, quickly wrapping her arms around his neck and pulling him in for a tight embrace. "I love it."

"I'm glad." He slowly placed his arms around her, accepting the hug she gave him. "Here, let me help you put it on."

Selene passed him the silver necklace before turning her back to him, moving her hair to the side. He carefully placed it around her neck, tightening the clasp as he stepped back.

"I didn't get you anything." She paused, suddenly feeling guilty. "Would you like to come to mine for Christmas?"

"I wouldn't want to intrude." Regulus awkwardly smiled at her. "Have a good holiday."

"Regulus." Selene grabbed his hand, stopping him from walking away from her. "Please."

"I have to go home. My parents are expecting me." He thought about it deeply. "I'll send you a letter with my decision."

"I'll be waiting." She gave him a genuine smile. "If you'll excuse me, I need to get back to my friends before Sirius sends out a search party."

Selene walked back into the compartment, falling back so she sat in Sirius's lap. She happily ate the chocolate, ignoring the curious stares.

"Nice necklace." Lily smirked, gesturing to the small silver pendant around her neck.

"It is an early Christmas present." She could not stop smiling. "Molly, how fast can you knit one of your famous jumpers?"

"I'll have it ready in a couple days." Molly nodded in understanding, happy her friend had finally found love.

"Here." Remus passed her her book, asking for her to continue reading aloud.

Selene happily read the story out loud, knowing everyone was listening to her every word. She loved sharing her stories with her friends, happy that they enjoyed the simple things that she loved.

They left the train station, holding hands as they magically transported themselves to Selene's front door.

"Welcome to my home." She smiled over her shoulder at them, opening the door to reveal her large house. "Put your bags down anywhere, we can figure out rooms later as we first need to buy food and get a tree. James, Sirius, Remus, Arthur, you boys are on cutting down a tree. There's an axe in the shed around back. The rest of you, let's go shopping."