alternative ending

final|happy family

Selene hummed her mother's old lullaby, rocking her daughter to sleep. The rain sliced through the air, heavily hitting the glass windows. She worried the terrible weather would awaken the sleeping baby.

"Selene!" Regulus called up to her, his voice startling their daughter. "Come here, now!"

"Hush, my sweet child." She kissed the babies head lovingly. "Mummy will be back soon."

Selene rushed down the stairs, curious as to the urgency in her husband's voice. She paused in her steps as she spotted Dumbledore and Hagrid in the doorway.

"What happened?" She glanced between the three men before noticing the baby in Hagrids arms. "Is that Harry?"

"My brother betrayed The Order." Regulus stated grimly, avoiding her sad eyes. "James and Lily Potter are dead."

"You're lying." Her hand went to her mouth, trying to silence her cries as she fell to the floor. Regulus easily caught his wife, holding her tight and stroking her hair.

"I want Harry to experience the muggle life until he is ready for the wizarding world." Dumbledore explained his plan to her. "I was originally going to send him to his Aunt's, Lily's sister, but was adviced you were a more suitable choice."

"How could this have happened?" Selene slowly stood up with Regulus's help, taking the baby from Hagrid and holding him close.

"I will inform you of everything once you come back from maternity leave." The older man nodded his head at the pair. "We shall take our leave."

"Reg, can you go make another cot in Adelia's room?" She sighed, kissing his cheek before checking over the baby in her arms. "I always did want twins but I will always remind you who your parents are. They were good people who loved you more than anything."

She wandered up the stairs to her daughter's room, smiling at her husband who bottle fed the girl. She placed Harry in the second cot, humming as she stroked his hair.

Once the two children were asleep, the two adults went to the room. Tired and emotionally exhausted.

"Sirius would never betray James." Selene spoke up, staring at the wall blankly as they lay in bed. "I've known Sirius for most of my life, he would never do such a thing. He was protective over the boy who gave him a home after he was kicked out."

"I know." Regulus pulled her close, kissing her lips. "I believe you. But there isn't anything we can do other than give Harry the best life we can."

"I love you, Reg." She cuddled into his side, kissing his chest before falling asleep after a long day.

~•~

Five years later

Selene sat cross legged on the floor, filming Adelia and Harry as they opened Christmas presents. Regulus sat beside the children, excitedly helping them open presents and set them up.

"Mummy!" Addie ran over, sitting on her lap cheerfully. "This present is for you from Harry and me."

"Oh, thank you my little pumpkins." She quickly opened the present from the two impatient children. "How did you two know I want this book?"

"Daddy said you liked books when we were Christmas shopping." Harry beamed, showing off his missing teeth.

"You two are perfect." She kissed both their foreheads before gesturing for them to keep opening presents. "You know me too well." She glanced at her husband.

"That's why I married you." Regulus leaned over and kissed her, earning a sound of disgust from the children.

"Shall I start making breakfast?" Selene chuckled, standing up at the three eager nods she received.

She moved to the kitchen, using magic to help her make pancakes and croissants. She placed bowls of fruit and fresh orange juice on the table. A cry rang out the house, indicating the youngest was awake.

"I've got him." Regulus stood up and wandered up the stairs before returning with their one year old son.

"Breakfast time." Selene moved everything to the table before taking her son, tickling his stomach as she greeted him. "Good morning my adorable little child."

She placed him in his high chair before sitting down, feeding him mashed up pancakes.

After breakfast and the children had played with their toys, Selene dressed the three children for Christmas dinner.

"You need to sit down before you collapse." Regulus wrapped his arms around her as she watched the children play with their toys, letting Jasper join in.

"But it's Jaspers first Christmas, it needs to be perfect." She relaxed as his fingers massaged her shoulders, lips lightly kissing her neck.

"Trust me, it is perfect." He reassured her. "And I'm still waiting for my Christmas present."

"You have to wait till tonight when the kids are in bed." Selene turned around in his arms, wrapping her arms around his neck and kissing his lips.

"Merry Christmas." Regulus gestured to the mistletoe above them. He deepened the kiss, happy that she had saved him and given him a family. She was perfect.

~•~

Hogwarts

"So, where should we go first?" Selene teased the two excited children as they headed towards the wand store. She paused before entering, noticing a familiar paled haired pureblood. "Reg, I see Malfoy."

"On it." Regulus quickly lifted up their youngest, promising him some sweets as he avoided a familiar face.

"Fray." Lucius Malfoy greeted the woman with a sneer. "I see blood treachery runs in the family."

"My children are pure." She folded her arms over her chest, both Adelia and Harry excited to see her defend herself. "Unlike the Malfoy and Black family line which is filled with incest. I'm surprised your boy doesn't have an extra finger. Now, I advise you leave before I teach my children a valuable lesson on how to break an arrogant arse's nose." She threatened the man with a smirk.

"That was so cool!" Adelia cheered her mother once the pair of white haired males left their presence.

"That's your father's side of the family." Selene chuckled, ruffling her daughter's hair before taking the pair further into the small wand shop. "You can understand now why he is playing dead."