five

5|late night meal

Selene flicked the page of her book, mindlessly humming as she consumed every word. She had grown used to the shadow that followed her every time she wanted peace.

"You read very fast." Regulus commented, his head leaning back against the wall with his eyes shut.

"I've been reading stories for as long as I remember." She hummed, cuddling into his side slightly as a breeze wafted over them. "It's become a skill."

"Can you read to me?" He opened one eye, peeking down at her relaxed state. He grabbed her head, forcing her to rest her head on his shoulder.

"Only if you promise not to make fun of me." She rolled her eyes are his action, not minding it as his body heat warmed her quickly. He clung to each word she spoke, her voice soothing him as he slowly drifted into a dream filled sleep.

Selene put her book down, knowing she would end up missing dinner but chose to rest her eyes for a moment. For the first time in months, she found herself quickly slipping away. Sleep finally consuming her mind.

"Selene?" Regulus shook her awake, his piercing green eyes greeting her as she slowly woke up.

"What time is it?" She mused, suddenly noticing how much she had cuddled into his side as his arm now rested over her shoulders.

"Past curfew." He chuckled, knowing they would most likely get caught trying to sneak back to their dorms. A grumble filled the silence, his humoured eyes glancing down at her stomach. "Hungry?"

"Very." Selene stood up, stretching her legs and arms as she glanced down at him. "Come on."

"Where are you taking me?" He whispered, his eyes dating between her cautious face as she dragged him through the halls and her hand which held his delicately.

"Just wait." She whispered back, smiling when they successfully arrived at the kitchens.

"Miss. Fray." An elf greeted her as she wandered further into the large space. "How can I help you?"

"Do you have some fruit that we could steal?" Selene asked nicely, smiling down at the elf. "I finally got some sleep and ended up missing dinner."

"Stay here. I will make Miss. Fray and her friend some food." The elf quickly walked off, grabbing ingredients and making them both a proper meal.

She jumped up on to the counter, sipping the juice another kitchen elf had given the pair.

"How many times have you done this?" Regulus asked her curiously, leaning against the counter beside her.

"Come for food?" She pursed her lips as she thought back. "When I got my first period in second year. I tried stealing some chocolate to sooth my trauma but was caught. Since then the elves have always made me food to cheer me up. Especially since..."

"Since?" He glanced over at her, confused as to why she trailed off.

"Since my parents passed away." Selene swallowed, trying not to cry as she knew her emotions were everywhere.

"I'm sorry."

"You're apologising again." She giggled, his goofy smile instantly cheering her up. "Thank you, Regulus. I don't think I've ever properly thanked you for always being there."

"Always." Her heart skipped a beat at the genuine smile he gave her, the expression warming her heart and giving her butterflies.

"Your dinner is ready, Miss. Fray." The elf broke her away from her romanticising thoughts.

"Thank you so much." Selene followed the elf to a small table that had been set up, happily devouring the food as the hunger fully hit her.

"Here I was thinking that the Selene Fray was a completely mannered young girl." Regulus joked, leaning forwards and wiping pasta sauce off her cheek. "I wonder what else she lies about?"

"The fact that I actually prefer tea over coffee and my favourite colour is green, not yellow. Oh, I'm actually afraid of badgers. My favourite animal is rabbits." She listed off a few random facts. "I was also almost sorted into Ravenclaw."

"That does make sense." He agreed, finishing his food and sitting back, watching her in the dim lights of the school kitchen. "So why Hufflepuff?"

"Because I am hard working and very patient." The pair chuckled at her statement, both knowing she could be very impatient at times. "But mostly because both my parents were Hufflepuffs. Runs in the family."

"And yet you're friends with many Gryffindoors." Regulus pointed out, taking her plate to the sinks, letting an elf take them away for him.

"Molly Pewitt is an old family friend and I met Lilly on the train in my first year." She shrugged at the statement. "We instantly connected and I quickly got to know the Marauders because James had a giant crush on Lily for years."

"I'm envious." He sighed, finally meeting her eyes. "I wish I had friends who were like a second family."

"I'll be your family." Selene offered, finally noticing the loneliness hidden deep with his green eyes.