thirteen

13|secrets

Selene sat on the window seat in her home, leaning her head against the glass as the rain heavily poured down. The book in her lap was long forgotten as she watched the droplets dance down the pane.

An impatient knock at her front door pulled her away from her thoughts. She hesitantly opened the wooden door, wand raised as she didn't trust who would visit her home this late at night.

"I've opened my eyes." Regulus announced out of breath, his clothes soaked through and sticking to his body as his hair lay flat against his face. "I understand now."

"Regulus?" Selene stated at him wide eyed. She quickly pulled him into her home, locking the door behind her. "Come, I'll pour you a bath."

"We need to talk." He demanded, trying to stop her from worrying about him.

"We will talk once I know you're warm and haven't caught a cold." She pulled him upstairs, sitting him on the toilet as she poured him a bath. He threw his clothes out the door, allowing her to dry them.

They sat quietly in her living room across from one another, both sipping their tea in front of the roaring fire.

"I can't stop it." He sighed, pulling his jumper sleeve up the reveal his mark. "It hurts."

"I can remove its power over you." She revealed, putting her mug down and grabbing his hand. "You can be free of his evil."

"I need to stop him." Regulus informed her causing her to sigh in understanding.

"How?"

"If I destroy his horcrux then he will become mortal." He explained his plan, enjoying the peace her warm hand brought him. "I could kill him."

"You'll die." Selene reminded him, growing worried over his plan. "Please, I can't let anyone else die because of that monster."

"There's no other way." He sighed, grabbing her and pulling her on to his lap, holding her close and rubbing her back as she silently cried. "If me dieing means you and my brother will be safe, I must make that sacrifice."

"What if we fake your death?" She suggested, holding on to him tightly. "The summer holidays are almost finished, we have one more year."

"He would still find me, he would need to physically kill me to stop looking for me." He pointed out the flaw in her plan, pulling back to look at her face. He wiped the tears off her cheeks, replacing them with light kisses.

"I'm more powerful than I let people know." Selene revealed with a heavy sigh. "My family are direct descendants of Helga Hufflepuff. I could make it seem like he was killed you but you would have to go into hiding until he is fully gone."

"I don't understand."

"Destroy his horcrux, he may be mortal but he is still too powerful for you to take on alone." She continued to explain her plan. "When he goes to kill you, I can cast a spell that will actually make him kill an illusion of you. Then, with the Marauders help, we can kill Voldemort."

"You're a genius!" Regulus planted his lips on her, shocking her momentarily before she melted in his touch.

Her hands went to his hair, tugging at the damp locks as he held her tight, slipping his hand under her jumper to stroke her soft skin.

"We should probably rest." She whispered against his lips, pulling back slightly as she got lost in his perfectly green eyes. "I'll go set up the guests room."

Selene jumped off his lap and rushed around the corner, leaning against the wall as her fingers touched her lips. That was her first kiss and she couldn't have imagined anything more perfect.

She wandered up the stairs, lighting the place up as she put sheets on the bed and  lit the fire in his room.

"Thank you." He said gratefully from behind her. "For everything."

"I told you I believed in you." Selene grinned, kissing his lips gingerly before walking out the room. "Good night, Black."

"Sleep well, Fray." Regulus chuckled at her use of his last name. Over time they started using their first names when talking to one another, their last names becoming a tool of teasing the other.